CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I can has popped fuse?

Old 09-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can has popped fuse?

So before I go tearing into my wiring harness chasing ghosts, what's the main cause of a consistently popping ignition fuse?

Old 09-10-2011, 03:14 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had any electrical issues with my bike. These old Hondas are pretty reliable in that department, mainly it's just the battery or reg/rec.

Have you done any electrical work on the bike recently?

If not, I'd think it's just a short somewhere, try tracing the wiring back from the ignition and starter switch looking for places where the insulation is worn.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:16 PM

Nothing recent. A quick trace over the wiring diagram points to either the reg/rec or the alt. field coil.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are popping fuses, which fuse? That will tell you, where in the harness,
you should be looking. R/R failing or stator, while a valid issue in it's own right,
probably isn't the likely problem. I'm voting towards a hot>ground short. Is it immediate when you turn the key? Intermitent delay?

Good luck, Ern

Old 09-10-2011, 05:05 PM

Ern, the fuse that's pooping is the starter/ignition/acc fuse (10amp). Totally intermittent, I could go 10 miles and nothing then pop. Replace, 10 feet later, pop. Replace again, fine for 10+ miles. I ended up using a 25 amp fuse to get home. I tried a 20a fuse to get home, but that one popped immediately. With the 25a, I got home (10 miles) but I did pop the main 30a once with the 25a fuse in.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Well that didn't take long:

Unfortunately, it's one of the yellow wires so now I get to trace back through the big red connector and then to the alternator.

New bike time? BMW F800ST is looking kinda nice right now

Old 09-10-2011, 05:48 PM

If you're blowing a fuse, you have a short. The next step is burnt wiring and a possible fire. A short occurs when current flows directly to ground without the resistance of a load. The wire leading from the positive terminal of the battery to the component has touched a ground wire or the frame. I agree with Mad, check the wires to stator, R/R, and engine-stop switch.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by slowpoke
If you're blowing a fuse, you have a short. The next step is burnt wiring and a possible fire. A short occurs when current flows directly to ground without the resistance of a load. The wire leading from the positive terminal of the battery to the component has touched a ground wire or the frame. I agree with Mad, check the wires to stator, R/R, and engine-stop switch.

Think I found it: I'm getting some minor resistance from the black and white wire on the rectifier the the ground plate on the back of the unit

Old 10-03-2011, 09:00 AM

Well it wasn't the reg/rec and it wasn't the kill switch so now the fun of tearing into the harness begins (still going to check starter relay and alternator)

Edit: disconnected the starter relay and alternator and still getting continuity on the ignition wire and ground so now I get to tear into the harness

Fun Times....

Double edit: now I'm showing continuity between the black wire (ignition/starter) and the white/green stripe wire (turn signal/brake lights/horn)

That FJR in western MA is looking very tempting

Last edited by malbojah; 10-03-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That FJR in western MA is looking very tempting

What a terrible thing to be saying

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I can has popped fuse?