CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Hopefully a very helpful post for everyone

Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hopefully a very helpful post for everyone

Ok so recently my bike would bog like it was out of gas, I made a post how it might be where I was running low on gas, but something never seemed quite right.

Last week I left work, it bogged and had to trailer it home. I was replacing the engine and jets in the carbs that weekend anyways. So I cleaned the bowls, installed jets and shims, (new engine) and rode it around the block, just fine, second lap it bogged and died again. I pulled and clean the bowls and little jets that are in front of the intake to no avail at least 3-5 times. It would idle but not run. As I googled it I discovered this is a issue people often can't figure out. So I thought "well there is nothing left to clean....except the slides!" so I pull the top off, and the diaphragm, and low and behold the is dirt all under there when it sucks air in and put for the movement of the sliders. it sucks air through that little plastic whatchacallit next to the coils to the top of the carbs

I clean the trash out and she purrs and revs like a champ.

Basically my sliders wouldn't go up to alow airflow. So when I gave it some throttle, it would choke it with too much fuel and no air. So if you ever have a chance give it a glance. Might help your response too. Surprised I missed the dirt when I shimmed the needle, but the top of the carb is the last place I'd look for trash.

Also the carbs had 32000 miles on them

Hope this help!

Old 03-31-2013, 01:19 PM

Good detective work. Most people don't know that the throttle cable only controls the throttle plate, which is on the engine side of the carb. Above idle, the throttle plate adjusts the amount of fuel admitted to the engine that was mixed together at the piston/needle and needle seat.

The piston/needle is controlled by the difference in engine vacuum and air pressure, which could be very slight. If the throttle is pulled open, no fuel or air will get into the engine if the plastic piston/needle doesn't move up because it and or the piston bore is dirty.

My 79 Suzuki has the old carburetors where the throttle cable is attached directly to the piston/needle. Very easy to bog the engine if you are too ham-fisted with the throttle. And of course, the emissions thing.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good tip !

Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Welcome Crew

very handy to know