CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Henry's new 1000F CCT

Old 06-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As I remember, my 1979 CB750F had a manual tensioner. It was just a spring loaded rod that pushed on the slipper. To adjust the CC tension, you rotated the engine backwards to take the slack out, backed off the locking nut, backed out the bolt to release the rod, retighten the bolt to secure the rod and then tighten the locking nut.

I just pulled the auto CCT on my Suzuki and put a manual one on. I turn the screw in that pushes the slipper, just until I don't hear the chain and then lock it down.

On the 750 it was done with engine off. On my Suzuki it's done with engine running. I like that because I have a feel for the tighness. I never liked doing it with engine off. I always thought I could get it to tight. But however the CCT on the 750 was in front of the engine and could not be done with it running because of the chain whipping and making the rod go in and out. The one I put on the Suzuki is noting more than a plate with a rounded-end-bolt that pushes the slipper. Because it's threaded, the chain won't whip.

I think that a properly adjusted CC will go a huge distance before needing to be adjusted. The auto adjusters, put more stress on the chain as they are always trying to tighten them. You don't need them tight, you need them just right.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 06-26-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may be worth pointing out that Steve has obviously been watching too many repeats of Hawaii 5-0.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Repeats never are quite good as original thing now are they Henry !
Same could be said for sequels too.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck matey.

Here's some info I gave Sebasitionbear which you and others may find helpful.

Clevis joint and male end. Buy a pin too. I went for a pair of ø6mm threaded end which were 12 mm thick. The fork clevis will need to be filed down to fit inside the tensioner body. If I remember it's between 10.5 & 11mm. Countersink the outside edges of the pin hole, cut the pin to length (=thickness of clevis joint which you've just filed down) and plain the ends of the pin on both ends to effectively ensure it won't come out. Oh, and you need to file off the corners of the male joint to allow it to bend through more than 90º.

Metric linkages - Springfix

just a shade under 2K miles on the prototype now and still she's quiet as a mouse at all speeds and most importantly, when cold. I still smile.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

G'day Henry , my cam chain is well over due . If you decide to help us mechanically challenged riders out and make some of these modified tensioners , I'd certainly like to be on the aussie list of buyers mate .

Old 07-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ozzyAL
G'day Henry , my cam chain is well over due . If you decide to help us mechanically challenged riders out and make some of these modified tensioners , I'd certainly like to be on the aussie list of buyers mate .
Hi Al and all Aussies,

Maybe when all this is resolved - we do a bulk order of all the parts - conduct a "Ride-IN" and run a "Cam Chain & Tensioner Swap Party" here in Victoria and invite all Aussies with CBR1000Fs - we do all bikes on the same day, have a BBQ after and get a "face to face" with all forum members here.

Last edited by Naga_Thai; 07-15-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Naga_Thai
Hi Al and all Aussies,

Maybe when all this is resolved - we do a bulk order of all the parts - conduct a "Ride-IN" and run a "Cam Chain & Tensioner Swap Party" here in Victoria and invite all Aussies with CBR1000Fs - we do all bikes on the same day, have a BBQ after and get a "face to face" with all forum members here.
I'm in

Cheers. SB

Old 07-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

now that sounds like a magnificent idea !

Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Naga_Thai
Hi Al and all Aussies,

Aussie CBR1000Fers may appreciate this.................

Mr Squiggle's blackboard with what is needed for this mod

Hurry up - YouTube

He was a very grumpy blackboard!

Cheers, SB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Henry's new 1000F CCT