CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Help: Neutral light does not work

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Neutral light does not work

Hello everyone

I just bought my first CBR1000F - a fantastic ride, evenin this day and age

I do however have a small problem - my neutral indicator does not work. It simply does not turn on when the bike is in neutral. This also means that I must pull the clutch whenever starting(including in neutral).

Since this is a new bike to me, I guess several things can be wrong: neutral switch and/or blown indicator bulb and/or faulty wiring etc.

How do I besthunt down the problem, and get it back working?

The bike is a '88 SC21, with a '92 SC24 engine...

Tnx in advance

Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Default RE: Help: Neutral light does not work

Start with the .99 cent bulb in the dash. 10 minutes work to replace it. If not, then you'll have to start tracing the circut starting a the nuetral safty switch.If all the other bulbs are working fine, then you should be able to rule out a bad ground at the console. Sometimes just moving the bulb in the socket can get it working again. Shadow can supply the manual that has the wiring schematics. He likes to share...hehe

Old 04-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the fuses..........and yes, Gill, I like to share........puff,puff, pass !!
If you need schematics, PM me

Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 AM

Hi - thanks for your answers
How do I get to the indicator bulbs?
All other bulbs are working, can it still be a fuse?
Where are the fuses located (I have searched everywhere below the seat, where they normally are)?
The neutral switch (beside the oil draining plug) itself, grounds when the bike is in neutral right?
Does that means, that I can take the wire connected to the switch and ground that - and the neutral light should light up?
Also, the manual (downloaded from a thread here), says to unplug that wire, and measure for battery voltage between that and ground - that doesn't make sense to me, since that would be measuring for voltage between to grounds?!?
Can the manual be so wrong?!?
Please help me

Old 04-23-2008, 01:16 AM

The easiest and quickest way to figure it out is to disconnect the neutral wire at the switch in the engine (it's usually close to where the shift lever is and quite often is a green wire) and touch the metal connector to any ground on the bike (bare aluminum on the engine cases will work). If the light comes on, you've just counted out the wiring and the light bulb and narrowed it down to either the switch itself or the little brass contactor in the shift drum. If the light does not come onand you're positive you're in neutral, then you've got a wiring problem and/or blown bulb. The neutral light does not have a dedicated fuse, so if other lights on the dashboard are working, the fuses are fine. If you have a test light tool, clip the aligator clip to the POSITIVE terminal of the battery and touch the probe to the neutral switch with the bike in neutral. If the test light bulb comes on, then you've just eliminated the switch and/or contactor in the shift drum as the culprit. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:58 AM

SOLVED!!! - THANKS!

I measured the switch, and found alright. Then I started taking the fairing apart around the dash. After swapping the bulbs around, I concluded that it wasn't the bulb either. Then I started tracking the wires from connector to connector using a voltage meter - working my way from the dash to the neutral switch. The last connector before the switch had fallen apart[:'(]
After resetting the connector - the switch lit up...great!!![8D]

Took me about an hour - and didn't cost me anything. Really nice that it can be like that sometimes too

So - now I have myself a fully working '88 CBR1000F - what a fantastic high speedhighway cruiser this is

Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Banned

Glad it worked out for you.
My neutral light didn't work this season, either. Mice chewed through the wire.
It cost me a piece of heat shrink. I got the wire from my fiancee's lamp,so that was free. Took me 35 mins to fix, though. Never gettin' that back. It was quality time, though, I guesss,'cause it was with my bike....

Old 04-23-2008, 08:57 PM

Always good to spend quality time with the other woman in our lives.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:31 PM
Default Need help

Originally Posted by Shadow
Check the fuses..........and yes, Gill, I like to share........puff,puff, pass !!

Old 08-06-2018, 08:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerome Bigredwolf White
A response 10 years later?!?!?
Thanks, it might help someone else, but not OP. ;-)