CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Handlebar Shake

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebar Shake

hi all, out for a ride at weekend.. took hands of bars to stretch and front wheel shook quite bad.. this happens around 40mph... not bad at at other speed..is it wheel balance or what ? had back wheel off 2 weeks ago, could this have anything to do with it ? any thoughts ?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:01 AM
Default RE: Handlebar Shake

A thing you live with do not take your hands off the bars and there will be no fult.It is not a good feeling is it,A big time head shake. 40 to 60k for me.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Front tyre worn, or is out of balance. Mine did it - changed front tyre, now all is well.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:26 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine is rock soild. If I put my Givi bags on it shakes from 35-25mph. If I take the bags off and move one up for a top bag, I does not shake as much.

When I had new tires install, they placed the wheel weights on one side of the wheels outer rim. I moved them to the center by cutting them and using double stick tape. By moving the wheel weights to the center I got rid of a major shakeing from 45-25mph. Now it only shakes mildly with bags on.

The shaking is also with hands off of the bars. During a long ride I lock the throttle and go for a few minutes no handed to rest.

Check to see where your wheel weights are.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine also did it until I replaced the front tire. I would start there or get a balance.
I've been told that bags will also cause this. You have to figure that any unbalanced load will cause it.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:48 AM

No handed, with throttle locked for a few minutes to rest? Seems rather dangerous to me. What if you hit a pot hole or some other road irregularity without your hands on the bars? How about pulling over, getting off the bike and stretching out for a few minutes instead? Riding bikes is dangerous enough with both hands on the bars!

Old 08-31-2008, 12:32 PM

nice to see its not just me then...think its time for a new front tyre...its lookin tired[:@] espeacially with new back one...will try that and let you know...cheers everyone..

Old 08-31-2008, 06:45 PM

I sometimes ride with my left hand resting on the tank.
Like when I drive the car with my knees, talking on the phone with a coffee and donut, then having a shave afterwards while texting my mates. - Only Joking.
I have thought of getting a thottle lock. I really don't see a big risk of letting go of the bars.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont forget your front wheel bearing - a cheap eay swap out - but how many have actually bothered to do it ?
MIne improved a lot after that

Quick Reply: Handlebar Shake