Fuel Tap

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tap

Today, I was checking things over on the bike

3 things, I would like to ask
1) When I disconnect the fuel hose, I get no fuel coming out,
when I start the engine, I get a small flow, however; when I rev the engine, there seams to be no change to the flow
Does this sound right?

2) My carbie breather hose runs to a small air box mounted just above the top of the engine
Should there be a filter in this air box?

3) The space between the Drive Chain and the tire look a bit close to me, could someone give me an indication of what distance they have.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2006, 07:37 AM
Default RE: Fuel Tap

Morning,
I believe the fuel tap is vaccuum controlled on the later models, post J, and prior to this were fed via a pump. Someone can probably confirm. The gap between tyre and chain is pretty close, but if you have a 180 tyre on it is very close. My original tyre was a 180/55 and that rubbed a gap into the chain guard to allow for its size. A 170 doesnt rub, but I have still needed to bend the guards mountings a bit. If its not tyre size, make sure that there is the same gap between the tyre and the swingam each side (ish) or carry out a wheel alignment just in case. I bought a wee gadget that sits on the rear sprocket for a couple of quid that really helps in aligning the front/rear sprockets.

Ara

Old 02-12-2006, 12:45 AM

1) When I disconnect the fuel hose, I get no fuel coming out,
when I start the engine, I get a small flow, however; when I rev the engine, there seams to be no change to the flow
Does this sound right?
Correct. As posted the fuel tap works on a Vacuum off the carby. As it actually requires very little vacuum for the fuel to flow it is suppling full pressure at idle.

2) My carbie breather hose runs to a small air box mounted just above the top of the engine
Should there be a filter in this air box?
Yes there should be a tiny foam filter about 5mm thick.

3) The space between the Drive Chain and the tire look a bit close to me, could someone give me an indication of what distance they have.
I have a 180 and the gap is 4/5ths of f*ck all. It is about 5mm or so. But I have never seen any evodence of the chain rubbing on the tyre.

Cheers
Big Rob

Old 02-12-2006, 10:22 PM

Thanks

Fuel tap sounds good, it’s a small pour; so I guess it would be hard to know what fuel rate I should have, but I don't think I should be concerned

I don’t' have any foam in my Breather Box, maybe I will make one, it will probably cost an arm and a leg for the right piece.

I measure 13mm gap from chain to tire; so I’m happy with that (180 tire).
There appears to be a small differences with my swing-arm measurements, when I adjusted the chain last, I use the guilds on the adjusters, should I use the swing-arm gaps instead.

I also tried to dump the fuel from my fuel bowls on the carbie’s, but found the screws were very tight, is that normal.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:15 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

hi:

When I rejetted my carbs last, I put some hi temp anti sieze on the drain screws as I had the Hecules over tightened screws in another CBR
I had. What a pain, so now every time I get a bike I put a little hi temp anti sieze on the drain screws when I have the carbs off. The drain
screws get rust like deposits on them if the bike sits for any time, and was not store properly, another reason to take the extra time to set the
bike up for stowage when it won't be ridden for a while.