CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:41 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My mechanic called me yeterday to say my barrels had returned from being bored and have come up a treat. He said he was just starting to put it back together when he noticed whoever put the wiseco big bore kit originally had put the pistons in back to front! He recommended semi synthetic oil for running in (full synthetic is too slippery and would not let parts bed in) then full synthetic there after.I should be able to pick her up Tuesday.

Last edited by jarvid; 06-11-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:16 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jarvid
He said he was just starting to put it back together when he noticed whoever put the wiseco big bore kit originally had put the cylinders in back to front!
Ya what? Is he saying that the exhaust studs have the exact same spacing and configuration as the inlet studs?

V. Freaky

Old 06-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Welcome Crew

Oops, I meant the pistons were put in back to front.....hehe

Old 06-11-2011, 07:29 AM

Oops, I meant the pistons were put in back to front.....hehe
Forgiven, I was having visions of those old back to front two strokes in the 70's

Old 06-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Welcome Crew

AAAAaahh, MY mechanic rang yesterday to say he found another problem while re-assembling. The inlet cam retainer had a crack in it! These can't be purchased seperately as they are matched to the cam and head, doh. He has dropped them at an old wizard who is fluent in the black art of alloy welding, he believes he can fix no worries, so fingers crossed til I find out for sure if it can be fixed this arvo.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys

If these are the cam caps of which you speak, i also have a couple at home in "the shed", would just need to check to see if they are inlet or exhaust, right or left

If they can be of help let me know and you can have them

Aussie Johnno

Old 06-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AAAAaahh, MY mechanic rang yesterday to say he found another problem while re-assembling. The inlet cam retainer had a crack in it! These can't be purchased seperately as they are matched to the cam and head, doh. He has dropped them at an old wizard who is fluent in the black art of alloy welding, he believes he can fix no worries, so fingers crossed til I find out for sure if it can be fixed this arvo.
Fingers crossed here mate! Just remember to restrain yourself for as while...difficult as it is .

Old 06-15-2011, 03:28 AM
Welcome Crew

Thanks anyway Aussie Johnno, managed to weld the cracked one up ($88).
Yippee, picked up the bike This arvo.....The bill from the mechanic..$2535 plus the bits I supplied....$200 so final all up price for the top end rebuild is $2735.
My mech said to keep revs under 6500 for the first 300kms but said mainly not to labour it. He also redid the timing off #1 as for some reason it was timed off #4, cleaned up and re-routed some chaffed wiring, pulled the carb bowls cleaned and recinked the carbs. I noticed straight away the bike seemed smoother and the gear changes heaps better with lighter semi synthetic oil(I was running 20w50 to stem oil useage before) So now I am looking forward to enjoying putting a few k's on her without worring about spraying oil on everything I pass!

Old 06-15-2011, 03:47 AM

Enjoy, Jarvid I wish it turns out to be everything you were hoping for.

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild