CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was quite young when I last tried possum, you know how picky young'uns can be. I suppose when you have the less gamey meat like Bennetts wallaby so readily on hand and it being illegal to hunt possum here, I have not had the chance to try possum again.

As for the bike Dave, it is going great, now my finger tips aren't going as numb from vibrations(1 cyl not firing properly tends to put things out of balance i suppose) Also, I have been trying to keep my hand and wrist/arm as parrallel as possible which also seems to lessen numbness.
I will take your advice and not rev it over 6000rpm until about 1500km, hell I have been able to out run everthing except cops keeping under them revs any hoo. I did notice the front wheel start to leave the ground and managed a power slide in the dry that left a nice signature all at about 6000 so I will have to be carefull when I finally get to unleash it's full potential.....will be fun!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear she's going well mate, although after a lot of research and several rebuilds I rekon that the 'take it easy' run in isn't all its cracked up to be.

I prefer the 3 x 15 method - 15 minutes at Max of quart throttle, another bout at half and then the final bout of 15 at full throttle with runs up to and back from redline. Afterwards change your oil and filter and ride as per usual.

The theory is that the rings bed in a lot better due to the cross hatching in the bore still being prominent.

Either way, I'm sure you're going to have a killer engine in that steed of yours! Let us know how she goes once you give her the full fist!

Cheers - boingk

Old 08-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boingk. There's a few different run it theories.

I totally agree with varying the revs and load during run in. I just like to gradually increase them, over about 1500km, then include short bursts of maximum 'erbs until it feels nice and loose.

I've had good results with this method on a few rebuilds and got good power, fuel economy and engines that don't burn any noticable oil between changes.

I'm not saying your method doesn't work either though. Each to their own mate

I had a mechanic tell me that after rebuilds (customers' engines!) he points them up a big hill in top gear and low speed, then opens the throttle wide..."It beds everything in properly." he told me.

That's one theory that I'm pretty sure isn't the best for long term engine life...

Old 08-01-2011, 07:59 PM

Yeah, no kidding?! Must've been a pretty old-hat mechanic... ie dodgy haha. With any method, using whats worked best for you is always the way to go I reckon.

Anywho, just so long as it works for you then thats fine. Admittedly, most of my rebuild experience has been with 240hp-per-litre two strokes... so spending 1500km running in wasn't an option as you'd be quarter way to the next rebuild!

Meanwhile I'm just waiting to go pick up my '88 CBR, can't wait to have a big bike again for longer trips.

Cheers - boingk

Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boingk
Yeah, no kidding?! Must've been a pretty old-hat mechanic... ie dodgy haha. With any method, using whats worked best for you is always the way to go I reckon.

Anywho, just so long as it works for you then thats fine. Admittedly, most of my rebuild experience has been with 240hp-per-litre two strokes... so spending 1500km running in wasn't an option as you'd be quarter way to the next rebuild!

Meanwhile I'm just waiting to go pick up my '88 CBR, can't wait to have a big bike again for longer trips.

Cheers - boingk
Wow! How many pairs of pants to the km mate? Anyone for power band??

Two strokes like that are certainly a different kettle of scuffed pistons. I hated that sound when they're just about to seize...

You'll love the cbr mate. More of a rush than you might be expecting from such a heavy old girl. I rode to work this morning and a guy said to me 10mins after I got here "what are you smiling about?" I shrugged and said "I rode my bike to work."

It's so cool that, even after all these years of riding, I still get that feeling!!

Non-riders just don't get it either...poor sods.

Sorry jarvid, I hoisted the skull and crossbones again for a moment! .

Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All good, interesting to hear different views on running in.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:21 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Hey that was JK not TK , understand how you could get us confused after a few Jimmys.

He's the old one (about 60 I think), I'm the young pup at nearly 51.

All good Steve.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:34 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Aren't you 50 yet Steve?

**** looking at your photo, I assumed you were way older than that.

You have clearly had a very good time.

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: profanity

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild