CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Don't you hate it when.... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/dont-you-hate-when-132196/)

bicklebok 11-10-2011 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by CBR1988 (Post 1112514)
Hey:

Thats kinda funny as they are the same company just one is in the USA and the other is in the UK. And both have the same warranty and part numbers. So what did you find different?

Dub

Didnt know they were sister companies. When I was researching RR's a couple of days ago I found a couple of forums where they were giving negative comments about electrosport parts, so I ordered from electrex since the guys on here had good reports on the UK company. From the photos, the part from each company for my bike doesnt look identical for some reason, but I will know for sure when I get mine from the UK.

Sprock 11-10-2011 09:36 AM

@ CBR1988 .......... that Electrex Unit

Not even close ...... UK Version ...... way bigger with huge cooling fins

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/image...-New-&-Old.jpg

bicklebok 11-10-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by CBR1988 (Post 1112514)
Hey:

Thats kinda funny as they are the same company just one is in the USA and the other is in the UK. And both have the same warranty and part numbers. So what did you find different?

Dub

I emailed an employee at Elextrex World in the UK about my order and also asked asked about Electrosport. She said the 2 companies are not related. Weird huh?

Sprock 11-10-2011 10:48 AM

Chinese knock off :D .....lol.......... jk

CBR1988 11-10-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock (Post 1112624)
Chinese knock off :D .....lol.......... jk

Hey:

Well it got to be something along those lines and I will have both in my paws before long as I purchased an Electrex one from Dennis Kirk back in 05, when they sold both Ricks and Electrex. They were both about the same price and the Ricks had no heat sinks so I went with Electrex unit and never looked back. I also went to get an another one from the same vendor for my 91 just recently and he is the one that told me they are the same. His story is both are made in a chinese plant and this company got together with some American businessman, made a deal and now sell to both a very similar product to avoid copyright/patent problems. I will check this story out further as a phone call to the UK also confirmed what Bicklebok was informed and they claim to know nothing about the other company (strange) so I think they know something and could not say. I will check this out for sure now as something is not right, as this vendor does a lot dealings with my family and I have known him through my brothers race shop for a very long time and can hardly think of why he would tell me they are the same if not so.

On a side note the dimensions listed are close in size and the Electrosport has no external wiring to it. I should have it by next Week and will compare as much as I can between them so I can get to the real truth on this.

Dub

bicklebok 11-10-2011 03:31 PM

I would really like to know if both are made in China or not.
One thing is for sure, it's a very important part that can ruin your day quickly. After my bike stuttered crossing a 4 lane 65 mph highway, then had me pushing it a half a mile home in heavy traffic, I would rather bite the bullet and buy the best unit I can.

CBR1988 11-10-2011 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by bicklebok (Post 1112672)
I would really like to know if both are made in China or not.
One thing is for sure, it's a very important part that can ruin your day quickly. After my bike stuttered crossing a 4 lane 65 mph highway, then had me pushing it a half a mile home in heavy traffic, I would rather bite the bullet and buy the best unit I can.

Hey:

I hear you, I just had to do that to get off a main desolated road when my 3 way coolant plastic junction burst, but that won't happen again as I replaced it with a upgraded stainless model. This road is remote but when drivers are on it they tend to drive it double the 65 MPH limit as it has a 4 mile straight section with an unobstructed view and is never patroled, as it goes near a bird sanctuary.
This is the only other weak point on these particular bikes that can really leave you stranded, other than emergency stuff like flats, chains, and such, and understand why you went with a known good unit, We shall see what the deal is.

Dub

CBR1988 11-11-2011 07:29 AM

89-99 CBR1000F r/r info

Hey :

Here is some old but interesting reading on them you may or not have read before.

Electrosport - ADVrider

Electrex is now ElectroSport?

The choices
Electrex World Limited - Electrical Parts for Motorcycles

HONDA CBR1000F, 90-96 - Buy the BEST Stator Regulator/Rectifier CDI - ElectroSport

Rick's Motorsport Electrics - Product Detail

Dub

Sprock 11-11-2011 10:29 AM

Interesting stuff

Wonder who will be the first to try the $35.95 version ?

Shadow 11-11-2011 01:06 PM

The Electrex unit is made in the Eu, so it isn't Chinese.
According to the people at Electrex UK the companies are not related at all.
I will say this, the Electrex people are as good as their word when it comes to their 12 month guarantee. I had a unit blow up on me due to a faulty stator, and they replaced it (the R/R) without quibble or questions, and fast too.
Speak to Lisa if you have any questions. The MD is also approachable, sorry can't remember his exact name ATM. I think it's Peter Houghton.

quote:Wonder who will be the first to try the $35.95 version ?
The guy who doesn't travel far enough from a dealership that keeps Honda parts
to worry if it blows up in the "sticks":)