CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Don't you hate it when....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't you hate it when....

Organised with a couple of mates to go for a ride yesterday through the Grampian mountains. Magic weather, feeling good, got together and off we went.
Made it about 10 minutes before my 96 Hurricane lost all power and glided silently to the side of the road.
One of the blokes I was with said he had noticed my headlight dimming just before it died. Dash lights etc all very dull and nothing from the starter button.
Being that I am by no means a mechanical genius, had some mates from the local dealership bring out the van and pick the old girl up.
Haven't heard anything definate as yet but their guesses were either a knackered regulator/rectifier or alternator. The battery in it is almost new.
Just having a quick skim through the forum, seems the R/R failing isn't too uncommon on Hondas????????
Any experience, ideas, thoughts????

Old 11-08-2011, 04:56 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's very common, the original part wasn't engineered properly to take the heat.
Check the R/R and connector for heat sign, burnt pins, warped/melted plastic, cracked epoxy coat on the r/r itself. If you see any of that sort of thing, replacement is called for.

What's probably happening is the r/r isn't sending current to charge the battery. So the battery is carrying the bike by itself, when the battery runs down, the bike dies.

Here's a link to diagnostics on the issue....

Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

If it does prove to be a faulty r/r, you can replace with either the upgraded oem part (it will have fins on the heat sink, instead of epoxy cover), go with a used gsxr 750/900 replacement or (my personal choice) the electrosport aftermarket replacement.

www.electrosport.com

Good luck, Ern

Old 11-08-2011, 06:20 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seeing how the bike is at the stealership I don't suppose suggesting the ones on ebay is worth while...I still haven't heard of anyone trying them...yet

Old 11-08-2011, 07:00 AM

ClubFubar, my rr died on me Friday. I just did a lot of research on different brands.

One thing is for sure, it's a part that can put you to walking quick if it goes bad. That's why I ordered a good quality one and didnt chance it with the ebay cheap ones. Sure hurt coming off with the money, but I keep thinking back to when the rr started to go out and I was crossing a 4 lane 65mph highway Friday and the bike stuttered. That could have detrimental!

I do believe my OEM rr was the original one, and I have 63,000 miles on it.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fetch the bike from the stealership and fir a new R/R yourself from www.electrex.uk
Part no is RR23
Takes about 15 minutes and you'll save a fortune compared to the OEM part costs.
The new Honda part has NO GUARANTEE so if it's doa it's your tough luck.
The electrex one is guaranteed for 12 months.
Many of us have them and have had no further problems.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went with the RR23 from the UK ........and as Shadow said ....no further problems since
for me either

Old 11-09-2011, 04:34 PM

i used the diode from my quad on my old bike (cb900c) for about a week until my new one came. sounds like its either that or your alternator(stator, whatever), but most likely the regulator/rectifier

Last edited by ganzey; 11-09-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Shadow is this the same thing or very close? This is in $USD

Buy New Regulator/Rectifier Honda CBR/ST CBR1000F (90-96)

Dub

Old 11-09-2011, 06:00 PM

I did a little research on the electrosport and didnt feel comfortable it was very reliable.

I bought mine from electrex and it converted to US $ on their web site when I placed my order.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Originally Posted by bicklebok
I did a little research on the electrosport and didnt feel comfortable it was very reliable.

I bought mine from electrex and it converted to US $ on their web site when I placed my order.
Hey:

Thats kinda funny as they are the same company just one is in the USA and the other is in the UK. And both have the same warranty and part numbers. So what did you find different?

Dub

Quick Reply: Don't you hate it when....