CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Coil/Spark Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil/Spark Issues

Hey guys.

I am having issues with my bike. I have done tons of work and am on the verge of finally being able to ride it. But now it won't start. Bike cranks fine and has fuel. I synced the carbs last year in the same weather conditions. It doesn't even try to fire so I know ignition is the issue. It ran great until about 2 months ago.

I put a timing light on the plug wires and 2 of the 4 didn't light the timing light at all. So I assumed a dead coil. I replaced the coil and still not luck. I pulled the spark plugs and tested it against the block and it sparks. The timing light will also light when testing this way. As soon as everything is installed, no spark and no timing light blinks. I've taken apart and put together multiple times but am out of ideas.

Could the new coil pack be weak and the compression from the motor not allow the spark plug to fire?

I'm out of ideas at this point and am going crazy. Can anybody please point me in the right direction.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:27 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you absolutely sure the leads/plug caps are connecting properly with the plugs when they are installed? The protective cap that stops crap falling into the plug socket can sometimes be too low, preventing a proper connection with the plug. Try working it further up the actual lead so you can feel it connect properly.

If not, there is a coil mod that you can do here :- https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-tos-8...ensive-139800/

Old 04-04-2015, 08:57 AM

When installing the plug wires to the plugs you can hear them clicking on. And you can hear them come off when removing them. So I think they are getting proper connection.

I knew about the Stick Coil mod but wanted to get the bike running and make sure I knew and fixed the issue before changing the system. I would hate to do the stick coil mod and have the bike still not work and not know if it was my poor wiring or something else.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The first thing I would do is switch the wires on the coils to see if its the coil itself or a bad wire. Switch the B/Y with the Y/B and also the grounds, then plug a spark plug into one of the plug wires and let it touch the rocker cover, it should spark. If not, the coil is bad. If it does produce spark, one of the wires is not working.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:18 AM

I have tested the coil by putting a spark plug in the wire and shorting against the cover. The spark plug fires and the timing light blinks. But when I install the spark plug and attach the wire I no longer have spark. I have never heard of such a thing before.

I am using the plug wires that came with the bike. Probably 1987 LOL. Like the only piece I haven't replaced.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When you are wiring the coil when its in the bike, while sitting on the bike the ground wires are to your right and the B/Y Y/B are to the left, correct?

Old 04-06-2015, 08:30 PM

When sitting on the bike the right coil (where I'm having issues) has the B/W wire on the left and the colored strip wire on the right. Opposite to what you are saying. This is how it was wired before and ran fine. Also the wire lengths make it hard to reverse it.

The new coil has + and - on the back I put the ground wire on the - and the colored stripe wire on the +. Because I am out of ideas I switched the wires and still the timing light doesn't blink.

Any other ideas? I'm only to anything at this point.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:43 PM

Ended up being the plugs were fouled to the point where they would test fire on the block but would not fire under pressure.