CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Spark plug, coil connections and mat

Old 07-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug, coil connections and mat

While working with my son on his F2 we found some things.

Seemed like 2 plugs were swapped. #1 was in the #2 cylinder and #2 was in #1 cylinder. We have corrected that. What I am wondering about is the connection on the coil for spark plug/cylinder #1 and #4. From looking at the Clymers manual the connections on the coil is reversed from how they are connected now. Should they be swapped?

Also wondering about the electicial connections on the coils. From the Clymers it is hard to tell which color wire goes on which terminal on the coils. I can not see anywhere on the coil that there is any specific indication to match the wires to one particular terminal. How should the electicial connections go for the coils?

And for the last thing, there is a rubber mat, for lack of a better description, that is connected to the top of the frame and lays somehow - someway at the top of the engine. Should this mat go to protect the front of the engine from water and stuff or should it sit over top of the spark plug wires and coils or should it lay to go just over the engine but under the coils? I am concerned about putting it in some places due to it may melt.

Thank you for any assistance.

Tim "Two Wrecks"

Old 07-27-2009, 01:04 PM

As far as the ignition coils go I know that cylinder #1 and #4 got to one coil and #2 and #3 to the 2nd.

As far as that rubber piece its very important. Its purpose is to separate heat from the intake that is right above the spark plugs.

In my case it makes a nice curve over the spark plugs and does not touch the engine anywhere.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by mackelbeast
While working with my son on his F2 we found some things.

Seemed like 2 plugs were swapped. #1 was in the #2 cylinder and #2 was in #1 cylinder. We have corrected that. What I am wondering about is the connection on the coil for spark plug/cylinder #1 and #4. From looking at the Clymers manual the connections on the coil is reversed from how they are connected now. Should they be swapped?

Also wondering about the electicial connections on the coils. From the Clymers it is hard to tell which color wire goes on which terminal on the coils. I can not see anywhere on the coil that there is any specific indication to match the wires to one particular terminal. How should the electicial connections go for the coils?

And for the last thing, there is a rubber mat, for lack of a better description, that is connected to the top of the frame and lays somehow - someway at the top of the engine. Should this mat go to protect the front of the engine from water and stuff or should it sit over top of the spark plug wires and coils or should it lay to go just over the engine but under the coils? I am concerned about putting it in some places due to it may melt.

Thank you for any assistance.

Tim "Two Wrecks"
Your first problem is that you are using a clymers manual. They are junk. Buy a shop manual, they may cost you a bit, but its the best thing I have yet to buy for my bike.

Sitting on the bike facing forward looking down at engine.
Cylinders
1-2-3-4
Firing order = 1243

Left coil
top wire > cylinder 3
bottom wire > cylinder 2

Right coil
top wire > cylinder 4
bottom wire > cylinder 1

I thought the coil wires only fit 1 way... like each connector was different sizes. Not sure though, its been years since I fiddled with them

Old 07-27-2009, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Matt.f2
As far as the ignition coils go I know that cylinder #1 and #4 got to one coil and #2 and #3 to the 2nd.

As far as that rubber piece its very important. Its purpose is to separate heat from the intake that is right above the spark plugs.

In my case it makes a nice curve over the spark plugs and does not touch the engine anywhere.
I have a motorcycle also. It is an inline 4. From the forum I am with for that bike I know that 1 and 4 go to one coil and 2 and 3 go to the other. I have read where it is not 100% important to have the cylinders going to one specific connection. I am wondering if the same is true on the F2.

Thanks for the insight on the rubber piece. So it seperates the air intake but does it go under the cross piece that the coils are on or should it come up and over the coils? I guess maybe a picture would help. Does anyone have one I could see?

About the shop manual, the Clymers and Clymers for a F2 and all for my bike. The service manual and Clymers for my bike has better info and in more detail than both for the F2. Not sure why. I know the Clymers came out years after my bike due to low demand proabably. My son does have the Honda Service Manual. It has good diagrams but less info about what to do which is about correct for a service manual since a person doing service on bikes should have a good foundation. Unfortuanately all my fooundation is on 2 specific bikes and I am missing somethings for working on the F2 that I thought I should be able to deduce or pickup between the Service Manual and the Clymers. I would say with the Clymers and service manual for my bike I get about 90% of the stuff and with the F2 I get about 75%. This is one of the reasons I finid forums so helpful. There are people on forums that have more experience that can assist when needed. I just want to get him correct with the rubber piece so he does not get in some bad habits and sets it up where some things could go wrong. Sorry for being a little wordy.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dissevered
Sitting on the bike facing forward looking down at engine.
Cylinders
1-2-3-4
Firing order = 1243
I wonder if that is the same for all Jap inline 4s. It is on mine and I thought from talking to other people with different bikes that it was the same on Jap inline 4s.

Left coil
top wire > cylinder 3
bottom wire > cylinder 2

Right coil
top wire > cylinder 4
bottom wire > cylinder 1
Well I think the right coil is incorrect. From the picture my son showed me in the service manual, it is reversed on his bike. So we really need to change it. Better get him to do that before he keeps riding it some more.

I thought the coil wires only fit 1 way... like each connector was different sizes. Not sure though, its been years since I fiddled with them
Not sure if you are talking about the plastic connector that is between the coils and the other wiring or if it is the metal connectors that go on the back of the coils. I will check with my son and use that bit of info about the connectors being different sizes to see. This may not work in some way because there looks like there was some sort of black box that was connected to the back of the coils. Actually there was one connector from the black boc that was daisy chained from the factory wiring that was going to the back connector of the coil. One of the other wires had a connector but was not plugged into anything and then there were 2 bare wires.

Going through the Clymers and service manual I found something that shows me some stuff about the rubber piece. On page 288 of the Clymers I see peice sitting under the ignition coils. It sort of looks like it is laying against the side of the valve cover. I think I still need to see someone elses bike to get a good idea or pictures.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 PM

Look at the pictures here. It may answer some of your questions.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-93/carburetor-cleaning-tuning-101-a-96888/

Old 07-28-2009, 11:57 AM

Thank you Matt.f2 for pointing me to that. It helps with the rubber piece. The third picture gives me what I wanted. Now I need to get the spark plug wires swapped and then look about the electricial connections on the coils.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:39 AM

My 4 & 1 were set up like his and I switched them to the way the clymer picture looked, next thing I had was a horrible backfire! So I put them back like it was. NO backfire. ?