CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Clutch slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:38 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang, sprock, you're fast. Takes some time for me to write english text so u just prolly posted when I was writing...

Old 11-25-2011, 03:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YZ, I always chuck some new springs in at the same time. They're not very dear and it can save another job later on.

Like tyres and brake pads, I tend to use good quality parts when it comes to clutches. I put a Goodridge set (with springs) in ages ago and have no dramas at all.

Let us know how you go mate, and drop into the Saloon for a virtual beverage or three.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattson
Dang, sprock, you're fast. Takes some time for me to write english text so u just prolly posted when I was writing...

Faster ---------------> Than a speeding CBR Mattson

and we all know that's really fast man

But after yesterdays festivities ........ well maybe not so fast today !

Old 11-26-2011, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't rule out the possibility of the rear tire losing traction. the power band on these bikes is pretty steep and i've spun the rear tire more than once while traveling 80+ kph

Old 11-26-2011, 04:34 PM

dave, I got some springs off ebay as well when I got the discs. Gonna throw them in together.

The rear tire is not slipping, at least not during the time I described. Bike came with new dunlop roadsmarts on it and they have a lot of grip.

Last edited by yz125; 11-26-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:40 AM

Good mate. The only time my rear tyre has slipped at 80kph is in the wet! I've punched down to 1st once at that speed and the front started to lift so I grabbed second to get where I wanted to be...past the truck and cars.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:33 AM

Sure...just waiting for everything to get here. Got new fork seals too. New question: the bike starts vibrating a lot as low as 4k rpm. It does not do this as much when just revving the engine in neutral / clutched. I read about this and gathered that the hurricane has some vibration but not as much as I am experiencing down low at 4k. I also found out the vibration can be caused by frozen chain links. The chain on my bike is in poor condition. I have ridden 100 miles on it and cleaned / lubed it thoroughly. Some of the o rings have come off. I think the chain / sprockets are all low mileage, just the chain got water / rust damage. I've adjusted the tension to spec but it varies widely at different points on the chain. Is this a likely cause of my vibration? Will I be able to ride on this chain for another 100 miles or should I replace it immediately? The previous owner was dumb enough to use wd-40 as his chain lube...lol

I've used gear oil (applied to warm chain), hopefully that's better.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:43 AM

P!ss it off mate, and the sprockets too!

If chain tension varies that much you could end up in big trouble. You're supposed to adjust to the tightest spot and still have the correct play. If yours is really shot you'll either be risking it coming off if you leave it too loose (adjusting to the tight spots) or possibly damaging bearings / seals etc by having it too tight.

I'm not trying to get you to spend cash where it's not needed but it sounds like the bike needs some tlc to get it sorted...Well worth it IMO.

When you get your new chain and sprockets (if you choose to), once again, get a well known brand in at least a heavy duty 'O' ring. Get some good 'road' formula chain lube and lube the chain well before it even looks dry, always as soon as you get home when it's warm.

The gear oil might buy you some time but I wouldn't risk it mate!

Oh, and yes...That could definately be the cause of the bad vibes.

Last edited by davethepom; 11-28-2011 at 06:45 AM. Reason: rambling too much! forgot to answer question...
Old 11-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using bad chain gets u in big trouble fast. The worst case scenario could be that the chain snaps, whiplashes your leg and wedges itself around the front sprocket and cracks the gearbox cover while doing so. That's the main reason why I couldn't get much miles on by bike last summer, because I feared that could happen and didn't want to buy any crappy chains nor could afford decent ones. That's one of the wrong places to cheap out...

Old 11-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So as the Guys suggest and you do get some new sprockets and a decent chain -
then I'd adjust the balancer

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-tos-81/balancer-adjustment-107818/

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping?