CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

carb holders, need some input

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb holders, need some input

hey everyone. its been a while since ive been here. the bike is running pretty good except for the fact that number 4 spark plug keeps fauling out. but thats a whole diffent topic.

I was wondering if anyone has used anything different that stock rubber boots to hold the carbs to the engine. my bike is running 90 carbs and really want to put the 96 ones back on since they r jetted. when i took off the original holders they cracked and split and where completely hard. i was thinking about trying to find some small intake coupler hoses and trying that. Not sure though. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. i called the stealership and they want almost 70 bucks each. they has got to be a cheaper alternative. thanks in advance.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

heres a LINK to get them a little cheaper. you might want to search more. I just checked out this one, only.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:57 PM

yeah i looked there right after i posted this thread. Thank u. i hate to spend almost 180 on 4 little rubber couplers. that half of what i paid for the bike lol. when i get home im going to measure the outlets on the carbs and the inlets on the head and see if i can find some silcone couplers on ebay or something. i was hoping that someone here might have used something else other then stock. but i will keep searching and let u guys know if i finds anything.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Originally Posted by 94tttsupra
yeah i looked there right after i posted this thread. Thank u. i hate to spend almost 180 on 4 little rubber couplers. that half of what i paid for the bike lol. when i get home im going to measure the outlets on the carbs and the inlets on the head and see if i can find some silcone couplers on ebay or something. i was hoping that someone here might have used something else other then stock. but i will keep searching and let u guys know if i finds anything.
Hey:

Don't, Hi Temp Silicone or or Goodyear HiMiler Blue/Green radiator hose works fine. I use it on my 88 with the ported head and FCRs as they will not fit in the stock couplers without enlarging them. Just take one of your old couplers down to the nearest Auto store and match the size up with good quality Radiator hose if you can't find the above, and you should be good. Just make sure it is not the cheap stuff or you will be doing this again very soon, as they will break down and crack very soon. The Gates and Goodyear stuff will last a very long time before it hardens and cracks. Do use hose/T bolt clamps on the clampless silicone stuff, if you buy it, just do not over tighten it, as that may damage it.
Also for a temp fix you can seal the old cracks with black RTV silicone to seal it up and keep it from getting worse, till you get some new hose on it.

www.frozenboost.com good place to mail order from, look in the hump hose and straight hose sections for the right size.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 10-28-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:00 AM

Well everyone i got it figured out. i got a radiator hose from advance auto parts where i work and everything is great. Now i have my 96 carbs back on the bike vs the old 90 ones. The 96 are jetted and i guess all my problems before with the bike not wanting to run with the origanal carbs was from the damn carb holders. The bike runs a million times better, way smoother through the low and high rpms and is really fast now. its like a brand new bike. im very happy with it now. i was thinking about selling her cause the 90 carbs where giving me problems but now i have changed my mind.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear the problems are behind you.
The 90 carbs should have run just as well on your bike - don't know about the jetting but std they run a bit rich (which is fine with me, rather that than too lean )
When replacing rubber hoses, sometimes putting them in hot water for a few minutes just before you fit them and a light coating of oil helps to slide them on

Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM

well the carb holders for the 90 carbs where pretty bad too. she was running really rich and number four would keep fouling out. i think the float needed adjustment. Also she didnt like to run when she was cold at all i would have to wait 5-10 mins sometimes before it ran well. with the 96 carbs its apply choke, shut choke off amost instantly and take off and ride. no bucking or missing in the lower rpms and no more rough idle. its nothing but smooth and quick throttle.
As fas as fitting them on the new couplers i made, it was a pain in the butt but with help from my dad they slide right on and sealed up perfect. now im enjoying the ride without worring if she will start when i stop and if she will die when im at a stop light.