CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Can you lower the front? And another tire question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you lower the front? And another tire question...

I was wandering... I know on some other bikes you can loosen up the triple clamps and slide the forks up, and lower the front height. Are the hurricanes designed like this? What are the effects in handling? Some people say it makes the bike harder to lean. What's everybody else's thoughts on the matter?
And now for another tire question (I think I have a new one every week. Sorry.)... I was looking in my Dennis Kirk catalog and they list a michelin pilot power rear tire size of 150/60ZR17. I have the skinny 3.5in rear rim still. I know a 140/80 is stock but would there be that big of a handling difference between the two sizes. We're only talking about 10mm difference in width. Anyways what's everyone's input on this also? I don't really want to spend $150-200 on a later model rim, and then another $150-200 to get a tire. If all it does is improve looks. I just don't like the tire height, it looks too much like a cruizer tire. Sorry to "old1000" your probably getting "tired"(LOL!) of my tire questions. I promise I'll try to ask something different next time.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Can you lower the front? And another tire question...

Just about all bikes can be lowered, or screwed with by sliding the forks up. Yes it does handle like a cow after. I took a 04 GSX'R around the block that had it done, also with a 2" drop in the rear. Did not feel right at all. Why lower, if I may ask?

When you try to squeeze a bigger tire on a smaller wheel, it's not only 10 mm wider, it's 10 mm taller. Think about it, the wheel isn't going to let the rubber stick out much more, but it causes it to hump up and this will continue to destroy the handling of your newly lowered bike.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:33 AM

Good point on the tire. Every positive always has a negative. I guess I'll just wait for a good deal on a later model rim down the road.
I don't want to lower the bike alot. It just looks like the rear sits lower than the front. Plus I wanted to know what the downfalls of doing it would be. I've never got to talk to anyone that has done it. I live in an area that everyone thinks they're rednecks. So sportbike riders are only a handfull. I probably won't lower the bike though. I'd like to just make it a little sportier. (My wife won't let me buy a newer bike..."They're too fast." She don't know how fast this bike is (HEE, HEEE!!).

Old 10-05-2006, 03:13 AM
Retired Administrator

Good luck keeping the secret from her.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:33 AM

you can raise the forks up in the trees, just be careful how much you do. before i did my front end swap i had been riding like that for years. the effect on the bike is it turns in faster, so only do it in very small amounts, test ride and see what has changed, an do not exceede 2-2.5 cm in total.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try lowering the front a little at a time this weekend if I get the chance. I'll see if I like the handling. The bike feels like it turns in slow(too me). I'm still kinda used to riding the baby ninja. I've rode bikes for about 5 years and the 'cane seems to have the heaviest steering of all the bikes I've rode. I know it's pretty heavy up there though. Has anyone installed the the "progressive suspension" front springs? Do they stiffen up the front? I also noticed you can adjust the pressure on the front forks. If you increase pressure in them will it stiffen it up signifintly? The bike seems to nose dive fairly easily.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Banned

raising the forks in the clamps will speed up handling but I would limit it to 5mm to 10 mm. And keep the handlebars flush with the top of the forks so you dont lose leverage.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:49 PM

Mine are dropped by 25mm and the rear has been raised by 35mm and it handles much better,no noticeable loss of stability either.They are lazy steering to start with but with a few inexpensive mods they can be made to hustle.I dropped the clip ons down too as leaving them flush with the fork tops looked ridiculous,I can`t see how they would affect leverage though as the position of the bike dictates that you push the bars to turn rather than push down on them.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:10 PM

simochell, just wondered how you did the dropping and raising?

Old 10-12-2006, 02:06 AM
Banned

Higher bars give more leverage because they are further away from the axle, just like a longer breaker bar gives you more leverage on tight bolt.