CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Front Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Tire Question

Hola amigos,

I’m having problems with my front tire, probably a month ago I noticed that the tire was loosing pressure, I kept inflating the tire every time I took the bike (usually once a week).

Finally I got feed up of this and went to a tire shop to have it checked, the guys dismounted the tire and put it back again, they even told me that they put nitrogen instead of regular air.

While I was putting the wheel back I noticed several very tinny hair lines (small cracks) in the side of the tire, closer to the outside rim seal, I did not worry about that, but now the frigging tire is down again.

Could this tinny cracks in the sides could be the reason of the air leak in the pressure, the tire has like 4 years since I bought it brand new, and the thread is in very good condition, I would say it’s got ¾ of good grip.

Can I add an internal additive to “seal” the cracks?

Or should I definitely look to get a new tire? Now, the rear tire is the same age but that one looks much better and it does not look that dried up, should I replace it too if this is going to be the course of action?

Rear tire is a Pirelli, front tire would be a Continental.

Will I have handling problems having two different brand names and thread design tires?

I’m sorry if I extended a little bit but did not want to miss any detail since I’m facing to spend big buck$$ on this replacement. This damn Peso vs US Dollar exchange rate is killing me!!

As always your comments will be appreciated.

Saludos and V’s,
Luis

Old 11-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Front Tire Question

CBRc is correct, get a new tire. The front end of your bike is nothing to mess with (neither is the rear actually).

Old 11-11-2008, 03:38 PM

Yep. Cracks in the tire = replace immediately.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:40 PM

Yeah, that's what I thought, but since the thread still has a lot I wanted to see if this side cracks could be sealed, I agree that the front tyre is your primary source for grip and steering, guess then that a new tire will be the solution.

Now, my question is related to the different tires that I will have (Rear=Pirelli and Front=Continental) the reason why I'm going for Continental is because apparently the Pirelli's that I got 4 years ago are out of stock, so my choices are either Continental (Road Attack) and Bridgestone, the difference on price between themis about $50 USD.

What is your experience with one brand and the other, consider that I use the bike mainly for the occasional sunday ride(130 kms/hr average speed), no circuit nor racing.

Thanks again,
Luis

Old 11-11-2008, 04:20 PM

If the tire is 4-years old and not 50% worn, I wonder if you should get a soft compound tire.
will last only half the distance, 4 years, not 8.
Rather get 4 years of great grip than 4 years of good grip and throw the last 50% away.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1 Can I add an internal additive to “seal” the cracks? 2 Or should I definitely look to get a new tire? Now, the rear tire is the same age but that one looks much better and it does not look that dried up, should I replace it too if this is going to be the course of action? Rear tire is a Pirelli, front tire would be a Continental. 3 Will I have handling problems having two different brand names and thread design tires?
answers.

1 Yes - to get you to the tyre shop, and carry for long distance punctures. 4 years old -Don't mess with it. I've had two rears go at speed (not front like Steve thank the Lord) and it wasn't fun.......
2 Yes, and don't mix Conti's and Pirelli's - the characteristics are different.
3 Yes
Buy the Bridgestone BT021 if you can get it. I use Michelin Pilot Road 2's but if you can't find them..........
Looks like we all speak with one voice today...............
Salud amigo !

Quick Reply: Front Tire Question