CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Boingks '88 CBR1000F

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boingk

Don't get me started on days! I work night shifts at a pub and its sometimes hard to keep track of the day. I know Sunday is my day/night off and Tuesday is payday... thats about it.

Cheers - boingk
Isn't there an app for that?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:49 PM

I'm sure there is but to be honest I'm not a huge fan of apps. Some are interesting but I just don't use them a lot. Generally I'll either use my phone as a phone or be using its online capability to browse the 'net or do business.

- boingk

Old 08-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Well, shes mine. Trailered her back from Syndey yesterday then went straight to work so didn't get a chance to do more than park her in the driveway. Still, the engine felt very strong and sounds pretty good - seems the 'camchain rattle' might actually be the exhaust fairings?

Anywho, here're the pics:

Name:  Trailer.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  Side.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  RidersView.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  49.2 KB

Instrumentation is clear as a bell and she certainly looks as though somones taken good care of her. I'm going to have her inspected and hopefully regoed today so I can take her for a spin!

Righto cheers guys - boingk

Old 08-05-2011, 02:03 AM

RIDE REPORT:

So I spent most of my day getting the bike regoed and all legal-wise so I can ride it further than the local garage... and was it worth it? HELL YEAH!

After I put a new battery in her and got all the legal mumbo-jumbo out of the way I headed for a bit of road that I like, one with a long straight in it. You know what I mean ;D Anyway, I took it fairly gently leading up to this straight and then rolled gently through the gears, peaking at maybe 7,000rpm in each one. Felt very strong with no smoke or untowards noises... then I looked down and realised I was doing very much over the limit so slowed down.

Heading toward a real 'riding road' I got used to the bike and really got a chance to have some fun. I didn't push it at all, but did rev out through a gear or two on some long sweepers. The first time I did that there was some smoke (cobwebs?) left behind but after that there wasn't anything. I suspect this old girl hasn't seen much high-rpm action in her life.

Anyway, she was a blast to ride and I had a ball this afternoon. Only problem I can note is that she leaked some coolant after the run, perhaps a few tablespoons at most. It came out of the overflow and was very clean, but it still got me thinking. Is it possible the previous owner just overfilled it a bit before sale? It doesn't seem to have leaked any more.

Cheers - boingk

Old 08-05-2011, 02:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking bike mate!

I wouldn't worry straight away about the coolant leaking from the overflow. I've slightly overfilled mine before with the same results.

I'd check the coolant, start it and run it until the fan comes on. That's about as hot as it'll get (like in traffic). A bit more coolant might come out of the overflow until it sorts itself out.

Just keep an eye on it until you're familiar with it.

BTW, I liked this bit in your ride report.
"I took it fairly gently leading up to this straight and then rolled gently through the gears, peaking at maybe 7,000rpm in each one. Felt very strong with no smoke or untowards noises... then I looked down and realised I was doing very much over the limit so slowed down."

No **** you were over the limit.

Have fun mate.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:18 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Nice looking bike Boing. I did have a look at that frame # you sent thru to me, our bikes were about 300 units apart down the production line. Hence the similarity.
Scary eh?

Old 08-05-2011, 06:57 AM

Dave - Yeah, it seems to have stopped after leaking maybe a total of something like half a cup of coolant out of the overflow, maybe less. Guessing the fellow just filled it when cold or simply overfilled. And yes, I was definitely over the limit and am enjoying!

kiwi - Hows that, only 300 apart hey? Nice. Same guys probably worked on them. Don't suppose yours has evaded the camchain rattle? Mine has 60,000km on the clock and sounds pretty darn good to me - certainly better than the one I test-rode last year with 50,000km on it.

Cheers - boingk

Old 08-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Mine doesn't have the rattle yet, only 32 000km. It has spent a lot of years parked up.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 PM

Top stuff kiwi, lucky shes being ridden again and not languishing away in a shed somewhere. Ask me how I know laying a bike aside for a few years isn't great for it!

Anywho, the ride is going well... apart from some minor screeking from the rear disc at times. I'm planning to replace it as soon as practical after I keep my other vehicles maintained - the Valiant needs a front end rebuild before rego, and my XR600R needs a rear disc fitted, too.

Oh yeah... don't suppose any of you guys know about the beut luggage systems from giantloopmoto.com? Just pulled mine outta the shed and am going to try a run to Nowra in the next few days with it. I'll let you know how it goes either way.

Cheers - boingk

Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 PM

Well, in around half an hours time my bike will be sold via eBay. At least, I hope so anyway!

She's been very good to me over the last 6 months and although I'm sad to see her go I'm happy for the time I've had with her. She will make somone else very happy.

Cheers all - boingk