CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

BHP

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BHP

ORIGINAL: Illushun

Timbuctwo, your right! Isn't that why they have the different letters at the end of the model/vin? When sitting on the bike, there's a model sticker on the left innner side of the frame near the battery box that has the model followed by and ending letter such as CBR1000F-R, or J, or L, etc...

R1000, can you give more detail about you stating that the inner diameter of the carb boot can be carved out? I have looked through the haynes service manual and could not get a specific illustration showing the carb intake boots. I could take them off to inspect, but thought you might be willing to go into more detail of the process. I have a bunch of questions like, what it the thickness of the carb boot, how much do you carve out, what method do you use, can you use a dremmel (rotary tool with appropriate grit paper), would rifleing (spelling?) or smooth bore be a variable?

As long as any modifications one does to their bike, would the percent increase that each component offers, now grow, somewhat, exponentially?
The intake intake boots (hoses) are made of synthetic black rubber about 4 mm thick and 40 mm diameter. On restricted bikes the inside diameter is reduced in the middle of the boot, between the carb flange and the head flange. Just cut it away with a sharp knife or scalpel so the diameter is the same thrue the boot. You need to pull the carbs of course. The easiest way to check if the bike is still restricted, without pulling carbs, I guess would be to measure the top speed with GPS. It should run about 255 km/h unrestricted with stock gearing. If restricted from 135 to 100 hp, the top speed would go down about 10%.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The letters on the sticker under the saddle denote the model year, Illushun. The engine number will have an E on the end, ie SC24E for the California model, which had all the emission control goodies, and cut the power down a good deal - needless to say, all that stuff went over the fence and off my bike years ago, and she now runs like everyone else's (and faster than some)
Some say 125 HP, some 133 HP, but that's at the crank, I believe. True rear wheel BHP is around 110 on my bike, with a couple of minor mods like pipes, K&N filter, and a Dyno Jet kit.
It's enough (for now)

Old 05-09-2008, 12:40 AM

OK. This is the last time I'll talk about horsepower for a while (fingers crossed???), but a while back I posted a comparo from Cycle World 1993 between the CBR, Ninja 1100, Katana 1100, and FJ1200, that had tested rear wheel hp and torque (ouch) numbers. For the newbies here, maybe it's time to relink to the article. It's the file entitled comparo, and can be found here.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:43 AM

Shadow. You've got too much time on your hands (like I should talk). I just noticed you resurrected this thread from the long, long dead.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not guilty Paco at least not this time..........
WHY ME ? he cries, gnashing his teeth and wringing his hands............[X(][X(]
You need to talk to Gill, he was talking about the "dead centre of Halifax" where one of my countrymen is buried........
Mea non culpa.......

Too much time ?- not really, sleep maybe 5 hours per night, worrying about what you're gonna beat up on me for, next....ar ar

Now, as I have returned from my allotted tasks for the day, and have made my country a little safer for the law- abiding citizens, I am at your disposal............just let me find the ointment.....