CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Another Carb question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:03 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should say I've never done anything with carbs on a bike before , but there's a couple of videos in this thread , the first is quite informative.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/carb-cleaning-routine-81729/

Old 10-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hint Try Lazy Guys way of cleaning them first

Also check for rust and debris in the tank and petcock

SeaFoam.......in the tank ........10 bucks at any Napa or walmart

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
When I go down the road in 6th gear at about 55MPH I can turn full choke on and the bike slows to around 45MPH and stays there with out throttle. I know that the enrichners are working at that point. They are adding raw fuel to the carbs and it holds an RPM.

I have bought bikes that have been sitting and I hate to pull carbs apart when I don't have to. Try running around with full choke in hopes that it clears. If not I guess the next step is to pull the carbs and clean them.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my carbs off 5 times since the end of Aug. The last time was last Friday. I can now remove, disassemble, clean and reinstall in about two hours, not bragging, with a little practice it is a relatively simple job.
The cause of my problems was a rusty tank and torn reserve petcock screen that filled the fuel line and carbs with a lot, I mean a lot of crap.
On my 96 pilot screws are out 2 3/4 turns.(CA. model)
I will bet that one or more of your pilot jets are blocked.
My last cleaning, I removed very little debris, and it was very, very fine, but large enough to block a pilot jet. I think this may be my last time, rode about 75 miles and still no problems.
If you are interested in the exact process I used to clean the crap (rust in my case) out pm me and I can fill you in.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, there seems to be alot of mystery to attacking this project. My biggest problems seem to be parts (as in carb re-build kits)that aparently do not exist, Instructions and/or a qualified person to do this work.Maybe this cbr is ready foor the trash, and its time to consider a fuel injected model.
If you read the how-tos and watch some of the vids, there won't be too much mystery left. Then after tackling a couple carbs, things will really clear up.
As far as the rebuild kits.... you can buy new jet kits, or single jets, or seals/valves, etc. Most of the components you can buy individually if they are damaged.

tomttt, I'm glad you're getting things sorted out. Good on you for sticking with it. I've heard of several others with the same problems you've had and it sounds like you did good.
Why the hell don't they just use HDPE for the actual tank and then put whatever steel covering they want over top of it. That's what I'd do. HDPE is awesome stuff. It's what my jeep's tank is made out of. No rust, no BS.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuild kits ???

hey tom, where do you get re-build kits for your bike???
Originally Posted by tomttt
I have had my carbs off 5 times since the end of Aug. The last time was last Friday. I can now remove, disassemble, clean and reinstall in about two hours, not bragging, with a little practice it is a relatively simple job.
The cause of my problems was a rusty tank and torn reserve petcock screen that filled the fuel line and carbs with a lot, I mean a lot of crap.
On my 96 pilot screws are out 2 3/4 turns.(CA. model)
I will bet that one or more of your pilot jets are blocked.
My last cleaning, I removed very little debris, and it was very, very fine, but large enough to block a pilot jet. I think this may be my last time, rode about 75 miles and still no problems.
If you are interested in the exact process I used to clean the crap (rust in my case) out pm me and I can fill you in.