CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Another Carb question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Carb question

I have a 94 CBR1000F and was thinking about picking up a used set of carbs to rebuild instead of playing with mine..... Does anyone know if all the years used the same carbs? If not, what years are interchangeable?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Default RE: Another Carb question

It seems that the 87-92 carbs are much different than the 93-on carbs.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear that you are still having trouble.
If it were me, I would take the carbs off and give them a thorough cleaning. I would take them apart and spray carb cleaner in all the holes. In the past I have done this over a piece of white paper to notice any dirt or grit becoming dislodged. Who is to say that the replacement carbs are any better or worse? You already know that the bike will run with yours. If you have to take them off anyway, it would be more cost effective to fix yours than to buy used ones and rebuild them instead. I would not put used ones on without cleaning them and taking the risk that they too are crapped up.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:28 PM

TimBucTwo,

I agree with you 100 percent. My thought was to rebuild the other set and then just throw them on my bike. I did not want to get to the point of getting mine off and end up needing some obscure part and then have to wait for a week or two for that part to be ordered. I'd rather spend a little bit for a used set and not lose any riding time.

The other alternative is to do exactly as you suggested, take them (the ones on my bike) all apart and clean them up and then reinstall them. And this is the route that I'm leaning toward, I was just looking at different options.

Do you know the adjustment on the air (Idle) screws? I thought I read somewhere that it's one and a half turns out. And do you know what the float level (height) setting is?

While I had the bike apart I was going to adjust the valves. The bike only has 10,000 miles on it but it is 12 years old and I think I hear a little bit of valve noise. Either that or it's the tensioner making noise. Is the cover gasket reusable or should I replace it?

Thanks again,
Mike

Old 08-10-2006, 03:30 PM

I was just thinking. You say the bike runs good at idle and at higher RPM's. The trouble is cold starting. My guess would be to pull the carbs and clean out the enrichner parts of the carbs. The low and high speed jets seem OK. Maybe check the float levels while the carbs off, that could effect cold starts, perhaps.
Also, check the vacuum line from #1 cylinder port to the fuel pitcock. It needs to be in good shape. There is a tight bend in it where it attaches to the pitcock. Check for cracking there.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: andrewmr

TimBucTwo,

I agree with you 100 percent. My thought was to rebuild the other set and then just throw them on my bike. I did not want to get to the point of getting mine off and end up needing some obscure part and then have to wait for a week or two for that part to be ordered. I'd rather spend a little bit for a used set and not lose any riding time.

The other alternative is to do exactly as you suggested, take them (the ones on my bike) all apart and clean them up and then reinstall them. And this is the route that I'm leaning toward, I was just looking at different options.

Do you know the adjustment on the air (Idle) screws? I thought I read somewhere that it's one and a half turns out. And do you know what the float level (height) setting is?

While I had the bike apart I was going to adjust the valves. The bike only has 10,000 miles on it but it is 12 years old and I think I hear a little bit of valve noise. Either that or it's the tensioner making noise. Is the cover gasket reusable or should I replace it?

Thanks again,
Mike
The valve cover gasket on mine -92 is rubber and reusable. I cleaned and glued it to the cover before putting back. Buy a Haynes manual and go thrue the carbs. You dont need the manual for this but it is good to have for general support. The float level is there to, and differs some between markets and years. Mine is set to 9 mm.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:35 PM

The airscrews, as far as I have read are turned very gently in to stop and two turns out. Over tightening in will damage the seat.

One avenue that may not have been covered is the plugs.

What type of plug, plug number and gap are you using?

A cold spark can give cold start troubles also.

I just had mine out. I can run at highway speed with full choke.
In 6th gear, at slower speed the enriched mixture keeps the bike at a steady speed.
Does yours do this?

Old 08-10-2006, 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: TimBucTwo

What type of plug, plug number and gap are you using?

A cold spark can give cold start troubles also.

I just had mine out. I can run at highway speed with full choke.
In 6th gear, at slower speed the enriched mixture keeps the bike at a steady speed.
Does yours do this?

I don't know. Or should I say I don't remember. The bike ran this way when I bought. I have done a few things to it and one of them includes new plugs. I put back in what the dealer gave me and gapped them to spec. The ones that came out did not look bad.

I'm not sure what you mean by you question about keeps your bike at speed with the choke.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: andrewmr

I'm not sure what you mean by you question about keeps your bike at speed with the choke.
When I go down the road in 6th gear at about 55MPH I can turn full choke on and the bike slows to around 45MPH and stays there with out throttle. I know that the enrichners are working at that point. They are adding raw fuel to the carbs and it holds an RPM.

I have bought bikes that have been sitting and I hate to pull carbs apart when I don't have to. Try running around with full choke in hopes that it clears. If not I guess the next step is to pull the carbs and clean them.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Default cbr carbs...

Hey guys, there seems to be alot of mystery to attacking this project. My biggest problems seem to be parts (as in carb re-build kits)that aparently do not exist, Instructions and/or a qualified person to do this work.Maybe this cbr is ready foor the trash, and its time to consider a fuel injected model.

Quick Reply: Another Carb question