CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

93 cbr1000f hard start wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey:

Plugs: They may have been but check your plugs you never know what they did before you got them, the tool is cheap and takes very little time.

Make sure your battery stays charged up as that will contribute to a weak fire and make near impossible to start as well.

No there should not be oil in the fuel unless somebody added it. Do you have an clear inline filter? If not go to Walmart and get a marine type filter with chageable filter inserts (3 pack is how they mostly come)and put that inline close to the petcock, with about a 3-4" hose from the petcock to the filter.Also don't forget to account for the filters size when cutting the fuel line. That should give you a good angle and allow the fuel line not to be kinked anywhere.

Rust is more likely than most other fuel problems, drain the tank till empty into a large bucket or trough and see if the fuel looks ok or not. I would then remove the petcock and check the strainer for dirt and rust. I would put fresh fuel in it to be sure all is ok and eliminate that as a problem.

Thats all for now. Good Luck

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 08-03-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 PM

hi...yeah first thing i did was install a clear inline filter and so far it remains clear....but havent had much luck running it much lol. remember, the tank was full of rust, so i removed it, filled it w bb's and shook the crap out of it, then did it 2 more times, then powerwashed it. thx for the battery info tho....this one seems to go kuput really quick. ive charged it back up several times already.
i cant seem to find the sparkplug gap specs for my 93

Old 08-03-2011, 05:01 PM

sorry...i keep bothering u all abt things i could probably figure out myself....that and im anxious....oh and lazy

Old 08-05-2011, 07:20 AM

o. m. g.
some of u will figure this out immediately...others....like myself...are too busy looking at everything else to notice the obvious. after thoroughly cleaning carbs, bike started with a little help of starter fluid. bike eventually died and battery was also dead. recharged battery and suddenly bike will ONLY fire and run just long enough to burn off the starter fluid.
question: why is that?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mate, it's late here on a friday night and i've sucked down a few nice cold beers. I'll have a stab though. Spark plug gaps don't vary that much and aren't that critical for an engine to just run.

The Haynes manual says 0.8-0.9mm (0.032-0.035 in).

If you're suss on the battery, take it to an auto dealer and get them to check it properly. These bikes are touchy when the battery is crap and the starter fliud may be enough to get it going with a weak pissy spark but it still might not catch on normal fuel.

Any doubt, just get a new battery or borrow one from a mate to try.

Clean all your electrical connections and check that you get a wicked spark with a plug resting on the head.

If this checks out and it still only starts and runs on aerostart, you must have a fuel blockage.

Don't worry about bothering us either. That's what this place is for...that and all the bull5hit anyway.

I've got to go to bed, nighty night.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:14 AM

I have a quick question, and dont take it the wrong way, but is the vaccuum line hooked up? Or is your tank clogged?(the vent line, check by opening gas cap then running the bike), is your petcock working, it sounds like a fuel starvation to me. Also is your bike charging? I wish you were closer I'd hop over and take a look.

Edit: you also said you put in an in-line filter, are the fuel lines kinked? and have you done a valve adjust yet?

Old 08-05-2011, 03:43 PM

no no...no kinked fuel lines...vacuum is hooked up, no to the valve adjust (really, really nervous abt that one....i know theres a sticky on it but from what i read it was incomplete?)
getting new battery tomorrow..but have to fill and charge.
and i was going to send an omaha steak to the first correct answer lol.
i was simply out of fuel

outlaw was close with fuel starvation lol. im not sure if its charging but i do know the battery sat out for a winter or two and if i run the bike idle for 15 mins or so and shut it down, battery is shot. back on the charger....try again tomorrow....

speaking of testing the charger..if i pull negative cable off battery while its running would that tell me if the charger is bad? similar to an automobile?

Last edited by h2opro; 08-05-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:14 PM

a really big thank you to any and all of u who helped me through these carb issues. im learning as i go so u have no idea how invaluable ur info was.
i just got back from my first ride. oh my. only went around the block twice, but its a good thing i didnt stray far cause i had to push it uphill the last four blocks lol. knew i was taking a risk but man...i had to take it for a quick spin!
its idling and everything...and doesnt even have to be on choke! starting a little hard still but ill run more seafoam through her and make damn sure the tank is full this time!

Old 08-06-2011, 05:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's sounding like you're winning at last mate.

Look at it this way...loads of people pay good money to get a good workout. You got one for nothing with the four block push.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:17 AM

I know all about pushing these big girls(3miles) Glad to see your getting her sorted out. Easy way to test if your bike is charging, is to rev her to 3-5k and have the volt meter on the terminals and see if it is keeping a charge, if it is constantly draining, then a part of your charging system is at fault. Plus you need to do the valve adjust, it is pretty simple, it just looks technical. I have looked at the how to, and it is pretty close, but your best bet is the manual, it gives indepth instructuions on how to do it. Glad to hear she is running!

Quick Reply: 93 cbr1000f hard start wont idle