CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1990 CBR 1000F (california model) Vacuum HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks great so much cleaner than trying to plug the pipe.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Looks good enough to me mate. You can tidy it up and make it pretty once you've got her running properly.

Interesting, always wondered what those castings on the head were for, now I know
Yeah damn california and their emissions laws... My father was the original owner of the bike and he parked it back in 2004ish. Due to bad cam chain tensioner and a CDI. He bought a 1100XX so the hurricane just sat until I rotated back from Germany and was moving to Oklahoma and needed a project. So I stole his old bike The speedometer stopped working back in like 1995 or 1996 with 66,500 miles. I surprised it still runs These are awesome bike and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a project as long as they don't mind the carbs and the vacuum lines...

Old 05-12-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by pmcg
That looks great so much cleaner than trying to plug the pipe.
Yeah I just bought a new welder so I was just going to cut the pipe and then weld it shut but then I thought to myself that if I ever sell the bike and the owner wants all the original emissions stuff I shouldn't tamper with it. Obviously I didn't have any gaskets for them so I just used a good amount of gasket sealer. The type I used I really like and have used it on a lot of metal to metal surfaces and have had no leaks with oils of fuels. It is made for differentials and hubs. Specially designed for synthetic oils. It is silver in color. Some of the best I have used. Of course the copper sealant is always a good choice. But this is what I had in the garage.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, guys, i've bought such machine few days ago, not w/o problems, and among others it has simptom, like described here. It runs not bad, but when go on rpm>5000 on 5-6 gear a few minutes it became slow, and at least it can switch off. It's look like the fuel ends. For first time i decide that the reason is in fuel valve, because vacuum tube on it was in bad condition. I changed it , but no changes in engine work. looking above the tank i saw that few of the vacuum tube (from right carb, must plug to one of valves) are unplugged. More than that, one of the valves is missing. Could it be from this?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A missing vacuum rubber cover would cause the bike to run badly, if it runs at all !
The two hoses from between the carbs don't plug into anything, they are just breather hoses.

The following users liked this post:
jtracy (01-15-2021)
Old 08-01-2013, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
A missing vacuum rubber cover would cause the bike to run badly, if it runs at all !
The two hoses from between the carbs don't plug into anything, they are just breather hoses.
You mean just to left it open to open air? And it can help?
By the way I went today about 15 km, 100-120 km/h, it run so &so, not so bad on this speed, but when begin to go faster, it suffocates, and when accelerate for a short time - it runs, but when accelerate on 1,2,3,4, gear, it also begin to die, and can switch off. I closed this tube, but nothing changes. I will grateful to any advice...

Old 08-02-2013, 01:41 PM

I think, could it be reason in vacuum, that opens fuel valve, Because i have such feeling, like on rpm>5000-6000 it ends fuel in carbs. May be for some reason vacuum disappears and fuel doesn't come to carbs?

Old 08-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull out all float valves and clean the screens also accessible and seen if you split the carbs and pull the
fuel "T"s - you are not getting enough fuel flow into the bowla at high rpm in my humble opinion

Old 08-04-2013, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock
Pull out all float valves and clean the screens also accessible and seen if you split the carbs and pull the
fuel "T"s - you are not getting enough fuel flow into the bowla at high rpm in my humble opinion
Ye, it looks logical, But could it be once in all carbs the trubles with float chambers? Anyway, thank you for advice Sprock. I will try to clean it and write about results

Old 08-05-2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by shures
Ye, it looks logical, But could it be once in all carbs the trubles with float chambers? Anyway, thank you for advice Sprock. I will try to clean it and write about results
Oh, it's not float chambers. Today i pulled them off - they're clean.....

Quick Reply: 1990 CBR 1000F (california model) Vacuum HELP!