CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1990 CBR 1000F (california model) Vacuum HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1990 CBR 1000F (california model) Vacuum HELP!

Hey guys. I have been out of the loop on this forum for a while. I have been doing some work on the bike. I had the bike running but the carbs were leaking so I pulled them to replace all of the O-rings. Good news: they arent leaking... Bad news: I cant get it to run.

What changed:
When I had it running I had all the "california" BS on the bike. AKA canister and the two PVC or PCV valves.
After fixing the carbs I decided to try to run the bike without all of that as I live in OK and dont need it. Plus it is ugly and I will be running the bike w/o any front farrings. I plugged off the vacuum lines to everything and I got it to run. But only with full choke. And if I give it any throttle it dies.

What I need:
I have the manual for the bike and it shows me the vacuum diagram. The problem is that it has all the California stuff on it. I need to know how to run my vacuum lines without all that stuff or at least w/o the canister. I know that none of the other bikes have the canister and I am looking for a vacuum diagram that shows how everything is ran w/o the cali smog stuff.

One last thing. I know where the vacuum line goes on the fuel valve but where does it connect to on the carbs? Even my vacuum diagram doesn't show it.

Thanks in advance for the help. I want to get it running so I can use my motion pro sync and tune the carbs and maybe even get this damn thing on the road

Old 05-10-2013, 02:52 PM

You have to plug the tubes above the exhaust ports. I imagine you could fabricate up a plate fairly easily and you have to plug the small vacuumed breather on the carbs everything in between get ripped out. The carbs have to large breather hoses between 1 and 2 as well as between 3 and 4 but that's it. The tank has a breather so be careful not to pull it by accident. I would imagine not plugging the carb inlets would cause the sptoms you're describing

For what it's worth I just ended up getting non ca carbs.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM Kilgoretrout he did it to his and he has some pics on how he did it somewhere

Also d'ya do the o-rings on the pilot needles ?

Old 05-11-2013, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by pmcg
You have to plug the tubes above the exhaust ports. I imagine you could fabricate up a plate fairly easily and you have to plug the small vacuumed breather on the carbs everything in between get ripped out. The carbs have to large breather hoses between 1 and 2 as well as between 3 and 4 but that's it. The tank has a breather so be careful not to pull it by accident. I would imagine not plugging the carb inlets would cause the sptoms you're describing

For what it's worth I just ended up getting non ca carbs.
Best advice yet! I will work on those things and report back!

Old 05-11-2013, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock
PM Kilgoretrout he did it to his and he has some pics on how he did it somewhere

Also d'ya do the o-rings on the pilot needles ?
I will most definitely contact him. I did replace those o-rings I'm sure when I installed the new springs needles And jets.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 AM

It really is as simple as plugging the exhaust port as well as the carb inlet and remove the in between. I will try and get a few pictures for you of the non essentials

Old 05-11-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by pmcg
It really is as simple as plugging the exhaust port as well as the carb inlet and remove the in between. I will try and get a few pictures for you of the non essentials
Thanks I really appreciate that. I need to work on pulling off and blocking off the A.S.V.'s. Looks like I need to pull out the grinder and start fabricating some block off plates. Then I need to go to autozone and buy a bunch of vacuum plugs... Hopefully I can get all of this done this weekend and get her running!

Old 05-12-2013, 02:48 AM

Did the block off plates for the a.s.v.'s. They are not pretty but they work. Also got her to run! Won't idle at normal speeds. But I got it to idle at fast RPM. Aftermarket tach doesn't work yet so I don't know what the RPM's were and the fan wasn't turning on so it started to over heat. More to follow tomorrow but she is coming together. Still need to work on the vacuum lines. Still not sure what goes where and what I needs to be blocked off and what doesn't. Pictures with questions to follow to hopefully get some help. Not sure how to post pictures using my phone on here. Should be able to post some tomorrow.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by AMSOIL929
Did the block off plates for the a.s.v.'s. They are not pretty but they work. Also got her to run! Won't idle at normal speeds. But I got it to idle at fast RPM. Aftermarket tach doesn't work yet so I don't know what the RPM's were and the fan wasn't turning on so it started to over heat. More to follow tomorrow but she is coming together. Still need to work on the vacuum lines. Still not sure what goes where and what I needs to be blocked off and what doesn't. Pictures with questions to follow to hopefully get some help. Not sure how to post pictures using my phone on here. Should be able to post some tomorrow.
Here are some pictures...

Attached Thumbnails 1990 CBR 1000F (california model) Vacuum HELP!-img_20130511_153503.jpg   1990 CBR 1000F (california model) Vacuum HELP!-img_20130511_154133.jpg   1990 CBR 1000F (california model) Vacuum HELP!-img_20130511_160215.jpg   1990 CBR 1000F (california model) Vacuum HELP!-img_20130511_164851.jpg   1990 CBR 1000F (california model) Vacuum HELP!-img_20130511_164904.jpg  

Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Looks good enough to me mate. You can tidy it up and make it pretty once you've got her running properly.

Interesting, always wondered what those castings on the head were for, now I know

Quick Reply: 1990 CBR 1000F (california model) Vacuum HELP!