CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1988 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ethan, I Checked out the link and the pics. I see your solenoid plug has done the same as my spares bike and a couple of of my old VT's done the same darn thing. With the VT;'s I ended up cutting the plugs off and reterminating to individual sockets. Solved the prob, no more blowing fuses.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:56 AM

Ruaphu? This to me lacks logic. No offense. Any idea how re-terminating that plug with separate ends would cause this short to be repaired? Please explain.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ethan Hollick
Ruaphu? This to me lacks logic. No offense. Any idea how re-terminating that plug with separate ends would cause this short to be repaired? Please explain.
Yep, no worries the plug that had the burnt out coupler (the red one) has the female plugs. These tend to lose their tension causing a bad connection and melt everything. It's this bad connection (or high resistance joint) that creates the excessive current flow which in turn can blow fuses & create excessive heat, hence the melted plastic.

Cutting off this red plug and connectors and then terminating new female plugs on the end of each of the cables. Each connector has it's own clear silicone cover so therefore insulated from each other once inserted in the green plug, prob solved.

To provide water tightness I just wrapped the whole lot with amaligmating tape. Cheap easy repair that lasted for ages on my VT. Just a wee tip, take the solenoid with you when getting the new connectors as there is three different sizes. From memory these one are the larger ones

Cheers Andy

Last edited by Ruaphu; 12-06-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:15 PM

I got what you mean now. My tip for fixing that is to dip the plug in baking soda water, any acidic corrosion will fizzle off really quick. After that, if possible, remove the plug, put a loose male end in and tap on a vice lightly with a small ballpein hammer. Voila, clean tight connections. Same baking soda trick for corroded batteries on your car. I even have a small container in the truck at all times.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ethan Hollick
I got what you mean now. My tip for fixing that is to dip the plug in baking soda water, any acidic corrosion will fizzle off really quick. After that, if possible, remove the plug, put a loose male end in and tap on a vice lightly with a small ballpein hammer. Voila, clean tight connections. Same baking soda trick for corroded batteries on your car. I even have a small container in the truck at all times.
Niiiice tip.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That baking soda is good stuff, I like drinking it to get rid of hangover heartburn, also makes a good cleaning agent.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine hasn't used a drop since the last change, then again it has only done 10miles....

Old 12-10-2011, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by cbroar
Mine hasn't used a drop since the last change, then again it has only done 10miles....
Used a drop of what?

Old 08-23-2022, 05:24 AM

Hi,
I bought 3 ago the same bike as yours, an Hurricane 1988, I use Castrol Power 1 20W50, syntectic blend, and I have no clutch issues. Mine bike have no sound chain noise, even with the old motor oil that she had before buying the bike. I had luck, because is a bike stopped two years and very neglected. I drove this bike during three months with no water in the radiator. I saw that this morning when I drained the water to inspect the thermostat because she was heating a lot. The bike worked during 3 monts with only a cup of cofee of water. I felt the heat in my fuel tank last time I used the bike in a longer ride. The fuel tank was hot!!!. Can you explain how it^s possible the bike are running with no water in the tank...

Old 08-23-2022, 11:16 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You are replying to a thread that is 11 years old!

I suggest you start your own thread, listing all relevant details.

Quick Reply: 1988 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane Restoration