CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   1988 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane Restoration (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/1988-honda-cbr1000f-hurricane-restoration-132695/)

Ethan Hollick 12-02-2011 09:23 PM

1988 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane Restoration

Currently in tear down stage, motor runs great, rode it all last summer including a non stop 600 km ride. Taking photos for you viewing pleasure.

Ethan Hollick 12-02-2011 09:50 PM

Update

Currently determined issues.

- The bike usually blows main fuse at starter solenoid during starting procedures. Starter has been checked, cleaned, and in perfect working condition. Starter switch circuit tested, perfect working order. Suspect solenoid failure. Planning replacement of starter solenoid.

- The bike loses 5th and 6th gears, under power has a "jumping out of gear" symptom. Suspect clutch slip. Potentially due to high oil weight, (20w50 Synthetic). Planning to replace clutch, everyone likes a new one anyway. ??(Wrong Oil)??

- The bike needs tires, simple.

- I will do all the work, then have the carbs taken and and tuned once the bike restoration is finished. Runs good now but nothing wrong with a checkup.

Cheers all..

Sprock 12-02-2011 10:39 PM

20/50 might be in it to keep the cam chain quieter.but could also be "energy conserving" 20/50 .........which of course makes wet clutches slip.

This thread may help on the fuse issue

BTW Ethan .............Welcome to the Forum :)

Ethan Hollick 12-03-2011 12:37 AM

It only shorts out after I hit the starter, never before.
Curious to see what would happen if I bomb started with a fresh fuse.

Ethan Hollick 12-03-2011 12:41 AM

The 20w50 oil could definitely be the clutch slip cause, it did make a big difference on chain noise though... :( I would hate to have to take it out, wonder about adding a washer to increase clutch spring pressure

Ruaphu 12-03-2011 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ethan Hollick (Post 1116531)
Currently determined issues.

- The bike usually blows main fuse at starter solenoid during starting procedures. Starter has been checked, cleaned, and in perfect working condition. Starter switch circuit tested, perfect working order. Suspect solenoid failure. Planning replacement of starter solenoid.

- The bike loses 5th and 6th gears, under power has a "jumping out of gear" symptom. Suspect clutch slip. Potentially due to high oil weight, (20w50 Synthetic). Planning to replace clutch, everyone likes a new one anyway. ??(Wrong Oil)??

- The bike needs tires, simple.

- I will do all the work, then have the carbs taken and and tuned once the bike restoration is finished. Runs good now but nothing wrong with a checkup.

Cheers all..

firstly, welcome, second, pics are awesome. What fuse are you blowing Ethan? the 30Amp one by the solenoid or the 10Amp one on the front panel?

If it is the 30Amp one, once you've tested the solenoid and proves to be OK, I would suggest you pull the starter and check the state of the brushes and armature where the brushe slide over. If badly worn and heavily carboned on the armature they can tend to act as a 'short' drawing more current, blowing fuses.

Cheers

Ethan Hollick 12-03-2011 08:02 PM

It is the solenoid fuse. Starter in amazing condition! Start circuit is fine. Thus I expect the solenoid.

Ethan Hollick 12-04-2011 03:13 PM

I pray that linking you to my facebook album will work.

Bike Photos | Facebook

chainstretcher 12-04-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ethan Hollick (Post 1116797)
I pray that linking you to my facebook album will work.

Bike Photos | Facebook

Praying? ... you must be new :D You should be able to post pics now ... the admin gods have heard your prayers ...

Ethan Hollick 12-04-2011 10:13 PM

Just now found the attach files button. YAY.