Aftermarket Discuss aftermarket upgrades to your CBR here.

Power Commander illegal in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander illegal in CA?

OK, first of all I'm fairly new to the sportbike world and performance modifications (having just purchased my F4i last May) so that may explain the possible stupidity of the following question:

Are Power Commanders and aftermarket pipes illegal for the street in California?

And, if so, since when?

I was having a new set of tires put on the bike today and noticed the dealer (Lee's Honda in Redding, CA - good folks, BTW) had a plaque certifying them as an authorized Dynojet Tuning Facility. I commented that this would come in handy as I would be getting a PCIII soon and would have them custom-map it for me. His eyes got real wide and he says that they, as well as aftermarket pipes, are illegal except for racing applications only and that this "law" went into effect about 2 months ago with some outfit in SoCal getting fined about $30,000 for sales / tuning.

Is this anything new or is it the same ol' "it's always illegal to tamper with anything having to do with emissions blah blah blah" that we get in CA all the time? Apparently it's not being enforced because you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting some guy's Akro or Yoshi slip-on (and you just KNOW he's got K & N's and a PCIII under the seat to even out the playing field).

Old 01-21-2007, 02:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Power Commander illegal in CA?

Had my RR mapped 3 days ago in costa Mesa CA. I had to sign a waiver that the bike was for offroad use only. I still rode it away, and they test rode it before handing it back to me.

Changing virtually anything, signals...plate mounting etc. is all illegal basically and you can get a ticket for it. Keep your stock stuff and put it back on long enough to sign off the fix-it ticket. No biggie, you can get the bike mapped at a WIDE variety of places.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power Commander illegal in CA?

Exactly the answer I was hoping for. Thank you, sir.

I'm getting one. I'm getting it mapped too!! And they can have it back when they pry it fromn my cold dead hands.