Aftermarket Discuss aftermarket upgrades to your CBR here.

Ebay/China Rear Sets actually OKAY

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REVIEW:Ebay/China Rear Sets actually OKAY

So guys, I got tired of my legs cramping up on long rides. I'm 6'3 with most of my height in my legs. and didn't want to pay 500+ for a set of vortex or sato rear sets so I took the plunge and bought a set of eBay Chinese rear sets. I did my research and a lot of people who I asked gave it average/good reviews except for one who gave it a really bad review but he dropped his bike and complained on how it got destroyed. Obv if you go down something's gonna break so I disregarded his review. Plus I emailed the seller back and forth and they assured me that if something goes wrong, I can return it and get a full refund. So I took the plunge. Got a set of gold adjustable rearsets for my 954 for $169 free shipping. Can't really go wrong there

Name:  33976dcd.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  105.5 KB
Name:  14E98A0A-D418-42D1-A2C4-3A28157A0DCE-5929-00000610A4CAF681.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  91.8 KB

So I must say for every pro for these rear sets, there is a con. So im going to go through them thoroughly for ya. I already put a few months and a few thousand miles on em so hopefully this helps.

Quality:
Pros:so they are made from light weight aluminum which is really cool. Definite weight difference from the stock set. Pretty sturdy and definitely good material. Sometimes you get some cheap metal from these eBay companies and they snap pretty easily. I don't think/i hope i wont have that problem with these but who knows. I think its good

Cons of quality: Metal is good but screws SUCK!! Some of the screws and bolts they give you really suck. I was playing around in my driveway and some of them got loose really easily. Quick fix for that was I took off all the screws on my stock rear sets and just reused them which was cool. I only had to buy 4 screws for the shifter and brake peg which only cost me 1.97 cents so I didn't care. I honestly recommend not using any screws they give you, i tightened one of the screws and the hex head started to break so i just bought new ones. Also, first ride, i rode to the hardware store which was a few miles away and the vibration made me lose the brake peg. I was able to find it on the side of the road tho.

I also reused my stock shifter link because I felt the link joints were better.

EDIT: And because i had it set on the lowest farthest back setting, my exhaust got in the way on the right side. It rubs a little bit when i i used the foot brake

Fitment:
Pros: No Pros

Cons: The only issue i had was where the rear sets met the bike. If you look at the 2nd picture above, you can see how the bike has a square rearset bracket but on the aftermarket rearset it self,it is rounded. It was a tight fit but it still fit.

Comfort.
Pros: Being 6'3 you can understand/imagine how it feels to have your knees in your chest when your riding a sport bike so now that I am able to lower it I don't cramp up as much on Long rides and it actually feels comfortable on on my knees and thighs. I didn't realize how much adjustment they gave you with these. You can raise or lower it, push the shifter and brake peg forward or back for bigger feet also where you want your feet position to be which is really cool. Comfort wise if you have cramping issues like me then its a great investment.

Con: the foot rest peg is substantially shorter than stock and I have size 12 wide feet, it goes to about 3/4 the way through my foot than stock which goes all the way. I was also wearing uncomfortable shoes too the first few times so it made it annoying. I recently got riding boots and its practically unnoticeable anymore so it takes a little getting used to

Design:
Pros: It's almost identical to sato rear sets except they come in better. Colors. They look really cool. Also i used to get really low on my bike and a few times my foot on the peg got in the way and scraped the ground. This allows me to keep my feet tucked in away from the ground

Cons: the gold they described is a lot brighter than what I thought and I wanted my bike to match but now it doesn't (No real design cons.)

So guys, I got tired of my legs cramping up on long rides. I'm 6'3 with most of my height in my legs. and didn't want to pay 500+ for a set of vortex or sato rear sets so I took the plunge and bought a set of eBay Chinese rear sets. I did my research and a lot of people who I asked gave it average/good reviews except for one who gave it a really bad review but he dropped his bike and complained on how it got destroyed. Obv if you go down something's gonna break so I disregarded his review. Plus I emailed the seller back and forth and they assured me that if something goes wrong, I can return it and get a full refund. So I took the plunge. Got a set of gold adjustable rearsets for my 954 for $169 free shipping. Can't really go wrong there

Name:  33976dcd.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  105.5 KB
Name:  14E98A0A-D418-42D1-A2C4-3A28157A0DCE-5929-00000610A4CAF681.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  91.8 KB

So I must say for every pro for these rear sets, there is a con. So im going to go through them thoroughly for ya. I already put a few months and a few thousand miles on em so hopefully this helps.

Quality:
Pros:so they are made from light weight aluminum which is really cool. Definite weight difference from the stock set. Pretty sturdy and definitely good material. Sometimes you get some cheap metal from these eBay companies and they snap pretty easily. I don't think/i hope i wont have that problem with these but who knows. I think its good

Cons of quality: Metal is good but screws SUCK!! Some of the screws and bolts they give you really suck. I was playing around in my driveway and some of them got loose really easily. Quick fix for that was I took off all the screws on my stock rear sets and just reused them which was cool. I only had to buy 4 screws for the shifter and brake peg which only cost me 1.97 cents so I didn't care. I honestly recommend not using any screws they give you, i tightened one of the screws and the hex head started to break so i just bought new ones. Also, first ride, i rode to the hardware store which was a few miles away and the vibration made me lose the brake peg. I was able to find it on the side of the road tho.

I also reused my stock shifter link because I felt the link joints were better.

EDIT: And because i had it set on the lowest farthest back setting, my exhaust got in the way on the right side. It rubs a little bit when i i used the foot brake

Fitment:
Pros: No Pros

Cons: The only issue i had was where the rear sets met the bike. If you look at the 2nd picture above, you can see how the bike has a square rearset bracket but on the aftermarket rearset it self,it is rounded. It was a tight fit but it still fit.

Comfort.
Pros: Being 6'3 you can understand/imagine how it feels to have your knees in your chest when your riding a sport bike so now that I am able to lower it I don't cramp up as much on Long rides and it actually feels comfortable on on my knees and thighs. I didn't realize how much adjustment they gave you with these. You can raise or lower it, push the shifter and brake peg forward or back for bigger feet also where you want your feet position to be which is really cool. Comfort wise if you have cramping issues like me then its a great investment.

Con: the foot rest peg is substantially shorter than stock and I have size 12 wide feet, it goes to about 3/4 the way through my foot than stock which goes all the way. I was also wearing uncomfortable shoes too the first few times so it made it annoying. I recently got riding boots and its practically unnoticeable anymore so it takes a little getting used to

Design:
Pros: It's almost identical to sato rear sets except they come in better. Colors. They look really cool. Also i used to get really low on my bike and a few times my foot on the peg got in the way and scraped the ground. This allows me to keep my feet tucked in away from the ground

Cons: the gold they described is a lot brighter than what I thought and I wanted my bike to match but now it doesn't (No real design cons.)

My Opinion
Over all besides the few issues here and there which can be easily corrected for less than a few bucks I am impressed with the rearsets. I was afraid i was gonna hate it and go back but It gets the job done for what I wanted for less than half the price of what many of you call "REAL" Rearsets. My bike is my daily rider so i look for comfort more than anything. They take a little getting used to but after a 3 months, I've Fully adjusted to them

One thing many of you should know is that with aftermarket rear sets, you have to change the rear tail light switch to the pressure sensor and not the stock... (which I havent done, I dont really care)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
33976dcd.jpg (105.5 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by NYKnick1015; 10-11-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i like m, they look good.. and good write-up..
im not spending 500 for a set of these either... what was the vendors name???
thanks..
jay