600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

Muffler idea. Genius or stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I may loan this thread I can answer to the Q in hand from my own behalf:

Replaced: Remus Slipon can (I still have in the garage)

Sounds just awesome, really menacing ballsy growl. I drove about half a season with it this summer, featherlight thanks to the CF casing, weighs no more than the Remus. Propably even lost a bit of weight cause I removed the cargo/foot peg brackets too. The inner structure with the removable ends is pretty much identical to the one on top of this thread. I was afraid it would be really loud but in fact it`s quite the opposite, even slightly quieter than the Remus. Angle`s a bit off but that can be changed if seen necessary. As for the power curve: it did change. Feels it gained a slight improvement in torque when taking off, but lost a wee bit of high end power which doesn`t bother me at all cause the bike is old and has been driven over 100tkm so I try not to gun it too much...

"purists" seem to hate it, and I have gotten a bit of crap about it but the overall opinion has been positive, and what counts the most, I love it ;D

Last edited by Mattson; 11-28-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mattson: That is awesome!!! and please don't take the haters too serious!!! your bike looks super custom, awesome and different plus looks butifully designed and and bueaty is in the eye of the beholder.. I think it looks great..
heres a funny fact:: twenty years ago I owned one of the first zx6"s and I also owned a Nissan 300zx.. anyway I put a muzzy on the bike and used the stock (bike) pipe on the car ...the car had a cool little zip sound to it..anyway had the car for another few years and the bike was traded up for something else later..
jay

Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I bought a Dan Moto from them direct this week, looking forward to getting it on, we'll after I've bought a better bolt and clamp going by what is said/\

Rob

Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, thanks Jason, seemed to have missed your post.

Yes, the reactions of old geezers on bikes are pretty funny when they see me filling up as they are pulling up into a gas station, quite a few come for a chatter cause most of them "had one of those when they were my age and these things are getting very rare round here". And then they see the mufflers... Almost every time the first questions are "wtf are those, are they a full set, how can it work with those, they must be super loud" and get really baffled when I fire `er up and it goes WUMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmWUMMmmmmmmm as the idle`s very quiet but has this "back the f up" background growl and it really barks when I tap the throttle

In fact, I just remembered, I made a (crude) video out of the swap and test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvTjD...ature=youtu.be

(Scuzè mois the blocky enklis...)

Last edited by Mattson; 12-01-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I watched the video and thought it was pretty good. you showed your solution to hanging them... not bad.. and the funny thing is, if anything happens to those pipes you'll always be able to cut them down and still have the full back pressure of one full pipe!! also if you ever desided to to a tail swap and a undertail exhaust again you'd have something completely custom..
on a final note: if you look at my profile you'll see i'm no stranger to swapping things out and always tip my hat, to back yard engineers and why not.. we're willing to put our money were our mouth is!! it doesn't always work out they we want..and sometimes it does!! enjoy the rest of your weekend ..

goat::: wheres the muffler you bought!!!

Last edited by jasonchristopher; 12-02-2012 at 09:27 AM.