600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

F2 Mods for trackbike

Old 12-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F2 Mods for trackbike

Hi All,

I have an 1993 F2 roadbike arriving tomorrow and I have been looking around the forum over the last couple of weeks getting some inspiration on the mods I want to do to the bike to make a track bike.

I want to put the F4i track bodywork on will I need the front fairing stay for an F4? Is it an easy fit?

Can I add RAM air and fit it to the F4i bodywork? Which airbox tubes should I use and what are the latest carbsthat fit to use with the airbox?

Do I need an F4i tank?

I also want to fit Upside Down Forks, has anyone done this? What is the best match to use?

Is the F3 rear shock the best to use with this setup or can a later one be used?

Can disks / calipersfrom the later models be fitted to the standard wheels?

Are there any exhaust mods you can recommend?

Thanks for any help

Old 12-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Default RE: F2 Mods for trackbike

I will try to answer your question and point you in the right direction for making a track bike.

Yes you can put F4I bodywork on your bike its not hard just have to make some brackets to mount the new bodywork.

Ram air on a F2 using the F4I airbox yes its been done before and here is the link below.

http://www.musclecross.com/jetbox/index.php/item/307

Inverted forks have been done also. Alot of people use 06 GSXR 600 or 750 forks. But you will have to also use all the others
associated parts for the front end such as the same GSXR rotors, calipers, wheel, triple trees, and clip on controls. Since you have
a F2 which has a mechanical pick up for the speedo you will need to change your gauges and make modifications to make it all work.

Actually a taller shock in the rear of the bike would raise the height of the rear end which many racers do. It improves the bikes
ability to be flicked from left to right. But I would not change the rear shock unless you really know how to tune the suspension.
If not done correctly you can get speed wobbles at higher speeds. I would stick with the stock shock and send it out to be serviced.
Also get you front forks serviced also.

I you want a bit more power a full exhaust system is the best. Since the F3 is a older bike I am sure you can find some good deals
on exhaust.

I have never made a track bike but I know your goal is to reduce weight on the bike thus you gain more horsepower/proformance. There are mods you can do such as a jet kit, ignition advance, high flow air filter, synthetic oil, race fuel, chain and sprocket modification, port and polished head, racing wheels, fuel pump modification, race stator, hotter spark plugs, racing shocks and forks
race tires, race bodywork, race fuel tank, race rear sets, steel braided brake lines, racing clutch, racing levers, k and n oil filter,and any other thing I did not mention.

I hope I covered it all if I missed anything someone please fill in the blanks. Good luck with your trackbike and post pictures when you are finished.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the advice.

The bike arrived today and I have also managed to source some cheap F2 / F3 bodywork so the F4i plan is out.

I have toned down my ideas now reality has hit me.

What I am thinking now is F3 carbs and RAM air (I assume the F3 fuel pump is needed too) and F3 rear shock.

I seem to remember reading about putting the F3 carbs on an F2 on this site but cant find the link, is it an easy mod?

Thanks

Old 12-11-2008, 08:07 PM

Back in the day the F2 was a pretty potent firecracker. If I was you I would keep my modifications mild and just make your bike
the best it can be. Doing this does not mean you have to increase horsepower to major gains. Focusing on some modification that will allow for better proformance will increase your bike abilities thus horsepower will be enhanced. Start with the simple do it yourself
modification and go from there. There are many things that can be done in your garage to make your bike a effective track weapon just take it step by step. With some of the simple DIY mods you can get a increase of 15-20 HP without getting into advance mods such as switching out carbs. You can make a ram air system for you F2 its really that simple. So make you a list of simple modification and start from there. If you have any questions just drop me a line.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:05 AM

Here is the first list of things required for the bike: -

Remove all the road kit

Clean up and respray subframe

New Battery - its er missing

Clean carbs

Drop oil, water, fiterand replace

New loom as the Regulator plug looks like its been barbequed (luckily I got one in the purchase)

Siezed brakes so brake seal kits required

520 conversion chain and sprockets

Quick Action Throttle

Supermotard slicks - plenty in my garage

K+N filter

Dynojet kit and setup

Exhaust can needs lifting into a higher position.

F3 shock and service on the forks

Question - How do you get ramair on an F2 without going the F3 Carb route and what is the difficulty in going for F3 carbs, airbox and pump. I'd like to get this issue sorted before the dynojetting?

Old 12-13-2008, 03:02 AM

Ram is a inlet that has atapered shape starting with a wide inlet and the size of the inlet gradually decreases overthe lenght of the inlet. So one inletend is bigger than the other. With the change in the size of the inlets it allows the air that is being rammed into the airbox to be squeezed or packed in. This packed in air creates pressure in the airbox allowing your carbs to have a steady flow of presurized air. The faster you go the more air is forced in. So how to build depends on the design of the F2 airbox and its position on the bike. This is what I would do.

1 Search the internet for ram air info and design to help you get a idea on how to design a system that is effective for your bike.
2 Construct a intake similar to that of the ram air system of the F3.
3 Remember to keep on end larger that the other
4 Try to keep the intake level with the ground so the air goes directly into the intake
5 You might not have a direct path to your airbox any bends that must be put in the intake keep them as slight as possile
the harder the bend angle will effectthe airflow.

Your carbs should not have any problems with this mod. If so I am sure the jet kit you plan to install will help the carbs get more fuel for the increased amount of airflow.

I plan in the future to do two test. I plan to do a flow test using a homemade ram air tube withtwo smallairfoils located in the ram air shaftin the direct path of airflow. As the air move over the top of each airfoil the speed of the air is increased. So I hope this will create a faster flow of air with ram air effect.

Also I plan to make me a set of variable velocity stacks. I want to make them able to increase or decrease in length at the throw of
a switch. At low speed the stacks will have their full lenght as I am on the highway or long straight away at the flip of a switch I will change to length of the stack to less for highway to increase top end power.

These are some of the poor man modifications I am doing to increase horsepower without adding a turbo. Maybe they will work maybe not.