600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

Can it be done fitting F4I carbs to a F3 engine ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can it be done fitting F4I carbs to a F3 engine ???

I am always running these modification questions in my head and I am wondering can a set of F4I carbs be fitted to a F3 engine? I my mind from past experience working with tank engines I say yes it can be done. But there is alot I don't know about the F3 engine but I am in the process of learning to turbo it but adding the F4I carbs it think would be less of task then to turbo the F3. Plus if I did add the F4I carbs it would make turboing much easier. You guys lets hear what you have to say about this because this would be a great winter project and if I am successful we all will have a source of knowledge if any of use decide to swith to EFI. As far as I am concerned an engine is a engine. The tanks I work on use a V12 1200HP turbo diesel. Back in the 70 that same engine use to run on gas. The engine was simply modified to run the diesel. The same with a old model pickup truck before the HMMUV called the CUTV use a carb intake on its diesel/mo-gas engine. Later when the HMMUV was made GM kept the using the same engine block and all and put a fuel injector pump in place of the carb. So that give me a bases to say it can be done because a engine is a engine and it wants what every engine wants so does it really matter if its getting there via carbs or EFI?

Old 12-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Default RE: Can it be done fitting F4I carbs to a F3 engine ???

from the standpoint of will the motor run with it? yes. the issue lies in something else altogether. the throttle bodies for various engines are not the same in how they are spaced out. have someone measure some F4i throttle bodies, and the F3 carbs to see how far apart the bodies are on the connection side, if they fit that way, you can use them, although you'll also need the F4i wiring harness, ECU, gauges etc.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great mod actually. *if* you do this please post tons of pics.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:12 AM

Sounds like a huge PITA to me but maybe you have really long winters where you live!?!? Good luck with the swap if you take it on.