600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

largest rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default largest rotor?

What bike (Honda family) has the largest diameter rotors (front and rear)? Can I bolt them onto my F4 rims?

I'm going to a 600rr swing arm and GSXR750 forks. I will be making sleeves to reuse my F4 rims/axles front and rear as the F4 axles are smaller than either the 600rr or GSXR750.

The big on is the front as the GSXR750 is designed to use a 310mm rotor so I need to get up to at least that if not larger (say 320mm).

Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't answer your question, just want to post on your direction.

Bigger rotors don't always equate to more stopping power. More pistons in the calipers do.

Generally, the track guys go for a smaller rotor and drill/slot them to get rid of un-sprung weight and gyroscopic rotating mass. The larger rotors will stay cooler (more surface-area and mass to soak-up/dissipate heat) but the trade-off in slower handling and decreased response of the suspension makes it a poorer choice.

I'm not trying to tell you how to do your build, just giving you something to think about.

Ern

Old 07-10-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059

Bigger rotors don't always equate to more stopping power. More pistons in the calipers do.
They can both result in more stopping force.

- Bigger rotors relative to the tire result in more "stopping torque" (like using a longer wrench) for the same caliper force.
- More pistons only result in more caliper force if the piston area gets larger. There are many instances where a properly designed 4 piston will get more caliper force than a 6 piston due to packaging limitations.

The upside to larger rotors is master cylinder force/stroke can remain the same while gaining more stopping force. With larger piston area, either the master cylinder stroke gets longer (due to increased fluid requirements on application) or the "peddle pressure" gets harder (using a larger master in order to keep short application distance).

But, as you pointed out big rotors weigh more which on a bike can constitute a lot of un-sprung weight.

My reason for "wanting" larger rotors is because the forks I'm going with are designed for 310mm. If I tried to use the 296mm rotors that are on the f4, a good bit of my pad would be off the rotor.

Chris

Old 07-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you've thought it through. The reason I made the comments I did, a lot of the folks here have bigger eyes than knowledge of the engineering behind different trade-offs. Doesn't seem to apply in your case. ;-)

Doing a search it appears that the 99-05 cbrx 1100 blackbirds use a 310mm with a 6 hole pattern. Don't know the spacing though so can't tell if it will be a bolt-on replacement. Also saw a cb1300 '03 using the 310's. I used "310 mm brake rotor for honda" as my search term in google There were more results, these were just the first couple I checked.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 07-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Sounds like you've thought it through. The reason I made the comments I did, a lot of the folks here have bigger eyes than knowledge of the engineering behind different trade-offs. Doesn't seem to apply in your case. ;-)

Doing a search it appears that the 99-05 cbrx 1100 blackbirds use a 310mm with a 6 hole pattern. Don't know the spacing though so can't tell if it will be a bolt-on replacement. Also saw a cb1300 '03 using the 310's. I used "310 mm brake rotor for honda" as my search term in google There were more results, these were just the first couple I checked.

Hope this helps, Ern
Thanks, that info certainly gets me going. I guess I could take my rotor down to the dealer or a wrecking yard and do some matching to those bikes.

My knowledge comes from automotive racing so while applicable, bikes are so much lighter and the dynamics are quite a bit different.

Chris