600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

How to make a shorty?

Old 06-03-2007, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make a shorty?

I recentaly bought a Yoshi pipe off Mattyrides07 and it is a reg pipe. It has been in a wreck or something and it has bad damage on it, but the top half of it is still good. My question is how can I, or can I, cut the can half way through to make it intoa shorty pipe? and if so is it really hard or should i not even bother with it? Also the Mid pipe is pretty dinged up, can I just use my stock Mid, or do i need to find a new Mid for the pipe? thanks for reading this!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Default RE: How to make a shorty?

WOW....that thing is thrashed

Old 06-03-2007, 08:43 AM

making a shorty pipe is pretty easy, all you need to do is drill the pop rivets out of both ends and pull it apart, make sure you wear a mask cos carbon fibre is not to good for you, and neither is the baffling that is packed inside...decide how short you want it and cut the outer casing with a drop saw or something that will cut it nice and straight...If your stock mid pipe is the same diameter as this one then use it, but i cant tell you if it is or not...Anyway, after you cut the can, you will have to cut the inner pipe thats was inside the can, cut it half a centimetre shorter then the can itself, it will fit easier (thats what ive found, and ive made a few).. Then cut the baffling the same legth as theinner pipe and put it all back together... you will need to drill new holes in one end obviously...Pop rivet it all back together and presto your done!!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 10:51 AM

WOOT thanks catchmeifyoucan!
that is an awesome walk through on how to do that thanks a ton! I think i can handle that hehe.....hopefully i won't screw it up too terriably bad. I won't be home for about another month (At school), but I'll post pics when I do go and get it done. Thanks again!

Old 06-04-2007, 04:12 AM

On this pipe, you only have to drill out the rivets on one end. The end with the spring hooks.
Then when you pull the hook end out, you will pull out the baffle with it. This baffle nests into
a flange on the other (outlet) end. From the good side make a series of marks where you
want to cut it then neatly wrap up to the marks with masking tape. I use a 4' grinder with a
thin metal cut off wheel to neatly cut around the tape. As for the rest, it will be obvious.
The mid pipe will work if it fits, just looks crappy.
You might think about using button head screws instead of rivets. Need to drill and tap the
holes. 1/4-20 I think.