600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

How do you set shift light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you set shift light?

My girlfriends bike is a 01 600F4I ,she dosen't have a book for it ,but would like to know how to set the shift light. Is it adjustable? I've ridden it and I couldn't see it coming on, but it does come on when you do the start up sequence. Thanks guys/gals

Old 07-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Default RE: How do you set shift light?

What do you mean by "shift light"? I have an 05 f4i, and the only thing I can think of that you are referring to is the redline alert light, to the right of the tach. That light turns on when you are redlining, and should turn on when the bike starts, as the needle moves to the redzone during the startup.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Users

there isn't a "shift light" on the F4i....I have an '01 and you are either referring to the redline or the FI light...as to a light to tell you when to shift like in a car, which i assume is what you are thinking, there isn't anything like that...you just have to learn to ride the bike and learn when to shift...plus on a bike, you really shouldn't be staring at your gauges for when to shift, that's not very safe...

Old 07-31-2007, 12:51 PM

Ok guys thanks ,I was thinking it was programmable like my buddies ZX10.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:28 PM

Actually I've seen and read about shift lites on motorcycles many a times. Even on race bikes. it wouldn't take any longer to look at the shift lite if properly placed within your gauge cluster/instrament panel than at your speedo or tach. or really both. It could be pretty usefull to let you know what gear your in as well!! like say at a light if not sure if your in neutral. It takes much less effort than pulling in the clutch lever and flicking your foot on the gear shift lever too.Thus allowing someone to give more atention on how to ride a bike better cause alot of those guys riding on the race track prolly don't know how to ride so good huh?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Users

i understand why you are saying what you are saying, but i don't quite think the reasoning is very good...for one, i rarely check my speed, i know how fast i am going roughly by what gear and how the engine is pulling....second, looking at your speedo to see your speed can be done only when a significant change in speed happens, versus checking a shift light everytime you shift is dangerous, by having to take your eyes off the road to monitor a shift light....

as for neutral, all bikes have a neutral light so you can just look down when at a stop light. plus being at a stop light alleviates the problem discussed above as you aren't moving...

finally, i would watch the comment about track riders....most track riders ride a helluva lot better than street riders...for one they know their bikes much better in that they push them much harder and usually can handle their bikes better....ask a street rider to take on a track at the same speed a track rider does and they probably won't do it....to suggest street riders are better riders than track i think is silly....just my opinion tho....

Old 08-08-2007, 08:45 PM

the comment was just some sarcasm in referance to you saying he needed to learn how to ride the bike and when to shift. cert was not saying anything as to how well guys ride on the track ride or street. just me being a little bit of a Smart**s that's all. Harmless and not trying to start a battle royal between track riders and street riders.
-J

Old 08-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Users

no prob....

Old 01-11-2022, 06:12 PM
Default Shift light

Originally Posted by ffingers
i understand why you are saying what you are saying, but i don't quite think the reasoning is very good...for one, i rarely check my speed, i know how fast i am going roughly by what gear and how the engine is pulling....second, looking at your speedo to see your speed can be done only when a significant change in speed happens, versus checking a shift light everytime you shift is dangerous, by having to take your eyes off the road to monitor a shift light....

as for neutral, all bikes have a neutral light so you can just look down when at a stop light. plus being at a stop light alleviates the problem discussed above as you aren't moving...

finally, i would watch the comment about track riders....most track riders ride a helluva lot better than street riders...for one they know their bikes much better in that they push them much harder and usually can handle their bikes better....ask a street rider to take on a track at the same speed a track rider does and they probably won't do it....to suggest street riders are better riders than track i think is silly....just my opinion tho....
you have the idea of a shift light incorrect. You’re not supposed to look at it, it flashes so you can see it through your peripheral vision. It’s just supposed to catch your eye so you know. Doesn’t matter if you’re a track rider, street rider, or Rossi a shift light literally couldn’t hurt. Although I do appreciate you guys clearing it up for me I thought it was a shift light and was wondering how to set it up but I guess a red line indicator makes sense aswell.