600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

HID & exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID & exhaust

my first post.. Have a question about HID kits for the bike I was thinking of putting one on but my friend recommend I not because he said you lose power cuz it puts more strain on the battery anyone noticed this who hasa kit. also if anyone knows a very nice dual canister undertail exhaust for 05 cbr rr 600 please send me a link as how i really like that look thanks for the help and safe riding

Old 04-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Default RE: HID & exhaust

check out jardineproducts.com

Old 04-16-2007, 08:41 PM

Your friend's an idiot. HIDs use about 35 W, whereas conventional bulbs use 55 W, so how is there more strain on your battery? They provide more light output while using less power. Your friend doesn't know anything, I wouldn't take anymore advice from him.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HID's are incredible.........they set the bike apart..........and are a must for anyone who does a lot of nighttime riding.

+1 on the idiot friend. Like Dragonium said, they use 35w, and the stock bulbs are 55w.

I did a write-up of my HID installation. I suggest giving it a once-over. You don't need to install it the way I did, but even so, there is still a lot of useful information.

https://cbrforum.com/m_230461/tm.htm

As for the slip-on, I love the sound of Akrapovic.........and their slip-on for the 600RR looks incredible.........

Old 04-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Banned

As far as HIDs go, I got one for my low beam (silverstar highbeam) and it is great. I just installed the HID bulb/ballast, but ideally you should have a new reflector/projector setup. The pattern is a little 'sloppy'with just the new bulb. My S2000s stock HIDpattern are tight and controlled.Also, my bulb is a little 'blue' I think it is 6000Kor something like that, the lower temp bulbs put out a little more light, but don't look as nice. It is definitely worth the upgrade $$$, the Blue Fox link is very helpful, you should check it out.

I have noticed that after a year, I blew a 10 amp fuse, that included a lot of on/offhighbeam. I may have a small problem or need a relay, not sure. But as far as a strain on the battery, maybe. I just had to replace mine after 16 months and 7000 miles. My bike is driven almost daily (Florida) although I did leave the lights on overnight two or three times and that may have shortened its life. The way I understand it is that the ballast on start-up uses a good amount of juice, when hot even more (that could have blown my fuse). Then after startup it uses only 35 watts which is less than the standard 55 watts.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:40 PM

thanks for the help guys much appreciated .. now just comes down to choosing the right slip on probably going to go for the jardine rt-1.. kind of off topic though but in classifeds i posted a zx6r for sale couldn't upload the pics saying file is to large and it won't let me do ti by url so back to that is if u or anyone u know is looking let me know bike looks real good not as good as a cbr though but selling it for 6500 or any reasonable offers thanks for the help

Old 04-19-2007, 03:46 PM

I just installed HID high and lows on my '06 f4i and my neighbors '02 f4i. When I first installed the HID's it was blowing the headlight fuse in the main fuse box every time I would turn my high beam on. Some people suggested to simply put a larger fuse in the fuse box to allow more amperage to flow through during the initial warm-up of the HID's. Well, yes this will work, but your stock wiring isn't meant to carry that load and you run the risk of melting/damaging your wiring. I suggest that you run dedicated wiring for the headlights if you do it. I ran a thicker gauge wire (14 or 16 gauge will do). I ran a hot and ground wire directly from my battery. I simply ran a new hot and ground wire along the stock wiring harness to the front of the bike. I put a 10 amp in line fuse on the hot wire that I just ran from the battery.
I then installed a switch to break the circuit of the hot wire, and installed the switch on the handlebar. The reason for doing this is because I was told by the manufacturer that it is not good for the HID's to turn them on and off frequently. When you turn your ignition key on your bike, your HID's begin to warm up. Then when you hit the start button to start your bike, it cuts the power to your headlights, thus turning them off while its starting, then once the bike has started, the HID's come on again. This is like turning your HID's on, then off, then back on in a matter of seconds. This is why I installed the switch. I leave the switch in the OFF position, turn my ignition key on, start the bike, then turn the switch on which allows power to go the the headlights. This is supposed to prolong the life of the HID bulbs and keep from damaging them from turning them on and off frequently. I ran the new wiring directly to the low beam headlight and then branched off to run the same gauge wire over to the high beam also. Then I had to install a relay to only allow power to the high beam when I turned my high beam switch on. I simply used the original stock (+) high beam wire as my "switch" to turn the relay on. By doing this, I was able to power my high beam headlight with the better, higher gauge wire, but still use my high beam switch on the left clip-on.

Overall time: 2 hours
Tools: Wire cutter/stripper, $5 solder gun, electrical tape
Reason for doing this: I work at a dealership and have seen one too many bikes come in with a burnt up wiring harness from people putting too large of fuses in the bike and the stock wiring can't handle the load. Yes, the HID's only pull 35 watts of power compared to the 55 watt stock halogens, but they pull much more power on warm up and I'm not comfortable risking my wiring melting or even my bike.

Let me know if this does or doesn't make any sense.

I can draw up some diagrams if you want.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:38 PM

Well your friend isn't completly wrong about HID's puttingmore strain on the battery. During startup the ballasts draw a good amount of power from the battery. They charge and then discharge about 20,000 volts in order to ignite the elements inside of the HID. After they have ignited and warmed upthey sustain 35 wattsthere untill they are shut off and turned on again. A good way to do it would be like wvucollins50 did. Run a dedicated wire or even hook up a relay with a wiring harness. I just have mine hooked right up to the stock harness and all I did was upgrade the headlight fuse to a 20 amp instead of a 10 amp. So far I havent had any problems but I don't think I would go any higher than a 20 amp with that small gauge stock wiring. Don't want to fry out and wires or harnesses. Which ever way you do it just make sure you do it haha, HID is a huge upgrade for your night vision and it will help you get noticed by cagers a little more