600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

FYI: sprockets and chain mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up FYI: sprockets and chain mod

Here is a post on changing your sprockets and chain. I have had quite a few ask me about this, so here is bit of info for you to use.

Steel sprockets last longer. Aluminum is designed to be lighter, but you really don't save much weight. Go with steel, then you won't have to replace it again.

I got mine on ebay in a kit, front and rear sprocket with a chain. Vortex sprocket and chain. about $150 bucks.

520 vs 525, I am assuming you have a 600, stock they come with a 525 D.I.D. sprockets, again this is a weight and strength issue. The 1000cc's have a 530, more torque more strength. If you go with a 520 or stay with a 525, it won't really make a diference. Its the change in gears. Your bike (600cc) comes with 16/46. 16 teeth in the front and 46 teeth in the rear sprocket.

I did a -1 in the front, making it a 15. This gave me more than enough torque to do wheelies. And left the rear the same. When you replace any of the 3, you must replace them all, otherwise the wear won't be equal, and you will need to replace them again. A -1 is equivalent to a +3 in the rear. So, if you do a -1/+1 or +2 in the rear, you will do amazing wheelies, and you will lose your top end. A -1 tops your high end to about 155 mph.

You will need a chain breaker and a chain press to change them yourself, those are about 15 to 20 bucks each on ebay. The Honda dealer wanted 125 for a breaker and 150 for a chain press, so I got mine on ebay and they worked just fine. When you press the chain, make sure you hear a click, then you know the chain is secured. and be sure to wax it once you have it on the bike. I use chain wax, got it on amazon for like 10 bucks.

You will need a bike stand or a way to support your bike when you take off the back wheel.

I hope this can help you guys out.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:20 PM

What about using O-ring chains? I always heard you never really needed to grease those.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your sprockets are good you don't have to buy a new set you can just buy a new chain. To test this theory you can put the new chain over the sprocket wrapping it around completely. If it comes off the sprocket this means its worn to much. If it fits on it nice and snug you are good to go. Also you don't have to use a chain press if you really don't want to. EK chains have a new design out there to use 8mm nuts and tighten then so they make the flare on it. Its very simple and not much more expensive.

Also you will hear a lot about people using clips on the master link to secure it. While it may work there have been ton's of story's of there chains falling off. Just google it. Best thing you can do is either rivet it or use the new ek chain design.

All my sources have been from Ek themselves and about 6 dealerships I called to comfrim this around the usa. I don't trust anybody since there is a lot of bad information out there.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:22 AM

thanks for the info. I just went and bought new sprockets -1/+2. I know that losing my top end will also help me slow it down more. I want to stunt it more than race it. falling or dropping it while doing wheelies or whatever seems alot better than skidding and sliding across the road from a sharp turn gone bad