600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Fried ECM

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried ECM

Hey everyone i am new to this whole thing but i need some help or ideas. i just recently had my bike apart and had a bunch of stuff chromed and i had also put new brisk racing plugs in and i had also bought a smog block off kit for my bike i remover the smog stuff and put the block off plates on and for the empty plug that was left after i removed it i put a jumper in it, cuz i was told if i didnt there could be a light that comes up on the dash well i did that and i also removed the kickstand switch too well when i put my bike all back together i left my power comander hooked up like normal and everything else i done to it the smog block off plates and kickstand switch well when i got the bike all back together and tank back on i tried to start my bike it wouldnt start and i noticed i forgot to plug the bank angle sensor back in so i did then i started it and the bike ran and idled just fine for a few min got to bout 107 degrees and i came out and just gave it a lil throttle and when it reved back down it died, well after that i tried to start it and start it and start it and also tried to give it gas at the same time dumb on my part i know cuz its fuel injected but it didnt work and while i was trying i seen a couple lights flash the only one i remember was a reset light i didnt think nothin of it and kept goin next thing i know i heard a pop and seen some smoke commin out of my ECM so i shut it off and when i would turn the key back on it would start smoking again, so i have no clue what is wrong i double checked to make sure i had all the plugs pluged in and no wires or plugs loose and as far as i know nothing is grounding out and i dont know if maybe because i didnt leave my power comander unhooked first or if it is the jumper in the plug that the smog unit used to be plugged into or the kickstand switch or if maybe i should have unhooked the battery and started all over and reinstalled the powercomander and just reset everything or if my damn ECM just decided to crap the bed for no reason. if anyone out there has any ideas what so ever please let me know i am lost. thanks alot for any and all help..

Old 06-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fried ECM

I'm thinking that I'm about 99% sure it's the jumper that caused the whole problem to begin with. Have you tried removing the jumper and try to start it again. Though, if there was smoke coming out of the ECU, odds are the damage has already been done. What model/year bike is it?

Old 06-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats up blue? i have not tried to remove the jumper yet and start it yet i just bought a used ECM on ebay instead of spending 725 for a new one, but i will un hook the jumper before i try it again. once it poped everytime i would turn the key on the ecm would start to smoke and get hot. i have a 2007 honda cbr 600 rr i think when i get the other ecm i will take the jumper out hook everything up re program the power comander and hopfully everything will be back to normal. i doubt unhooking the air injection unit and putting smog block off plates on is going to affect the way the bike runs cuz all that does is help burn un burned fumes in the exhause chamber and stuff from what i hear, i have talked to a couple people they said maybe the plug i stuck the jumper in one side maybe was positive and the other negative and when i put the jumper in it shorted out the ecm and started to eat it up cuz it ran for a few mins got warm then once i gave it some gas it died when it reved back down oh and when i tried to start it back up after it died i noticed that when i turned the key on u know how the fuel pump will run for a couple seconds then go off? well mine was just runing and runnin never went back off but i still tried to start it so im thinkin the ECM was on its way out and so everything was starting to act up i guess. the only mods i have done to my bike is a full system yoshi RS5 exhaust brisk racing plugs the block off plates to get rid of the smog system and to clean up the front of the motor a bit and shed about a pound off the frontand a power comander with a map for after market exhaust and air filter and i also have a k&n air filter also went one down up from and 3 up in the rear. i really hope the jumper is the problem and everything goes back to normal when i get the other ecm i miss my bike lol.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just scrap the whole emissions/smog bypass modification altogether. To be honest, you aren't going to gain once ounce of "noticeable" power from that modification, and the weight savings would be in the ballpark of eating lunch and not eating lunch.

And the noise you hear from the fuel pump is it "priming" the injectors. It makes a whine, then stops a couple seconds later. That's normal.

Another thing I would highly recommend is get a Honda Shop Manual for the bike. It'll save you VALUABLE time diagnosing all the problems you are having.