600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Chain Chattered while downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain Chattered while downshifting

At the time my bike had around 250 miles on it. I took it around the block before parking it in my garage and while I was downshifting I heard a loud chatter coming from the left side.

I took it to 5k then down shifted again and same thing....

I realized that it was my chain so I adjusted and tightened it slightly. Anyone else have this problem on such a new bike? I never expected to tighten my chain so soon.

Sorry guys I just realized that I put this is the wrong forums.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:32 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chain Chattered while downshifting

My chain was really loose when I took mine in for the 600 mile checkup. After that, I've needed to make only slight adjustment every 1000 miles or so (or every month, whichever comes first.)

Old 10-25-2007, 05:24 AM

taking your bike in for service. sorry dude, but thats for another day

anyway, new chains will stretch a lot in thier first couple hundred miles. after that just check them every 500 miles or so. i clean lube and check my chains every 500 street miles or before a track day. The DID ERV3 on my 1000rr has needed adjustment once in 2000 miles.
Also it is better to have the chain a little too loose then too tight. The track I go to wont even let you on the course if your chain is on the tight side. Tight chains restrict the suspension and put undo stress on the running works. When you adjust it make sure you press down on the chain to get the beginning measurement and then press up. I use a digital micrometer to make sure that the adjustment block on each side of the swingarm is set perfectly aligned with the other side

Old 10-25-2007, 06:50 AM

Good advice Baxsom.

Your chain is part of your suspension system and an improperly adjusted (too tight) chain is going to effect your shocks compliance more than all the **** twisiting Honda built into the bike.

Loose is way better than tight.

Lubeit up. Get it straight. Keep it Loose.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:39 AM

Man I hate it when I post something and then it disapears somehow into the land of cyberspace. But... here we go again, only this time I'm not going to type as much.

Here's my problem. Sometimes I'm getting a chain 'lash' whenever I shift from gear to gear using the clutch (moreso in lower gear than higher), or most recently, sometimes when I'm playing around with my very mild clutch-up wheelies. (just started doing the wheelie thing a week ago on this bike, and this problem existed before this... so that isn't the problem.) The sound and feeling I get is like, if you had a piece of rope, held it at both ends, than snapped it out to it's full length. I've always figured it was cause because of loading up the chain with decel forces then the sudden accel forces snapping into place from acceleration... but again, it doesn't ALWAYS happen. However, since it does happen, I was wondering if I had a problem with my gears or my chain.

I've got over 8000 miles as of last week on my 07 CBR 600rr, and with the exception of one drag-strip day, I've been realatively mild on the bike the whole time. I try my best to lube the stock chain about every 500 miles, and make sure to keep it adjusted to spec. Right now, it's on the tighter side of the specs... but still within' my honda manual's reccomended range. I've got plenty of adjustment left.

Is this a chain problem? Is this normal? I just don't know... since I've never had it happen (or the bike was too noisy and jarred your teeth to much to notice) before. Any input would be much appreciated! (Just don't give me the "just shift without the clutch lololz" )

Old 10-25-2007, 04:57 PM

i would loosen it to the other end of the scale and make sure your rear wheel is lined up properly.

also make sure your cush drives are good.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 PM

thanks for your help guys, this forum is much better than other forums that I belong to. Here everyone is very helpful and dont leave stupid comments.

Glad I joined these forums... Thanks again