1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

running rich

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running rich

i was wondering how many of you guys out there are using a power commander or have remapped the computer after installing a slip on exhaust. i have a yoshi rs-5 and the bike seems to run a little rich.. i smell alot more of the exhaust now.. It doesn't smoke blue at all "except for a little from a cold start" , and it doesn't really "burp" at all like when you modify exhaust on something carburated.. so whaddya think?? should i buy a proggramer or power commander or should i deal with the little extra smell???? haha.. thanks guys...
chris

Old 09-12-2006, 05:39 AM
Default RE: running rich

Get the PowerCommander! You wouldn't believe the difference it makes! Low end hesitation has been completely eliminated and the power is a lot smoother all the way across the power band. www.morepoweracing.com got it shipped to my door for $275.90! Thats the cheapest I found anywhere! Good luck with it!

Old 09-12-2006, 05:55 AM

Does the powercommander help with a stock setup at all? I've done the flapper mod, but that is it for now. I am annoyed with the surging below 3k, where I spend quite some time due to over zealous traffic enforcement policy in my neighborhood until I can get on the highway.

I may not even get an exhaust because I find that it gets me the most attention when I am doing the stupidest things. Should I pass on the powercommander?

Old 09-12-2006, 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: p166mmx73

Does the powercommander help with a stock setup at all? I've done the flapper mod, but that is it for now. I am annoyed with the surging below 3k, where I spend quite some time due to over zealous traffic enforcement policy in my neighborhood until I can get on the highway.

I may not even get an exhaust because I find that it gets me the most attention when I am doing the stupidest things. Should I pass on the powercommander?
I would still get the pc3!!! I personally think it is the best mod you can do besides suspension! Your bike will be fully adjustable in the fuel department. Remember Motor bike companies tune their bikes for best fuel economy and also best for enviroment! Not full on power! Your bike will benefit from a commander. It will stop hesatation and surging. I would get it even before a pipe. Even if I was gonna stick with stock pipe I would still get pc3!!!! Even with stock pipe you will gain more power? and rideability for sure!
Just from my experience I would!!!

Old 09-12-2006, 04:10 PM

What he said!

Old 09-12-2006, 05:45 PM

+1

our bike isnt exact from the factory because of emissions standards
do the flapper mod of course and then use the stock map for a PC

instantly smoother

Old 09-12-2006, 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: p166mmx73

do a search on poat by me-openclasspro-"put bike back on dyno"
went from 138.9 to 153

Old 09-14-2006, 10:24 AM

alright, so i guess i'm gonna order one.. haha.. does it work just like a proggramer for a car?? or does it stay on the bike?? how easy or hard is it to set up??

Old 09-15-2006, 12:19 AM

go to the powercommander website
they have the instruction manual online
basically
you plug it to the negative batt cable
inline to each injector
and inline to the tps sensor

then the unit goes in the trunk
to program it hooks to a laptop via USB port

and yes it tunes basically like a car
if you are familiar with split second tuning or LS1 edit it works in fuel tables based on rpm/tps

plus number add fuel for that range of rpm vs tps and - numbers take it away

it really cant be street tuned that well without the aid of a wideband datalogger
PC does have a wideband version however

also consider this
the pair must be blocked for a true tune so it doesnt read leaner than it really is