1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

removing the baffle?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: removing the baffle?!

This is an update for those that are interested. I heard about the drilling holes in the baffle wall. Gave it a shot with a 1/2 inch hole. If you look down the tailpipe of the cbr1000rr you will see the wall and there are 2 indentions on the wall. Perfect for the half inch unibit, so the bit doesn't wander around.

I drilled 1 half inch holes on both sides of the tailpipes. The bike sounded louder but it had a sport tuner type sound to it, which I didn't like too much. ( you know like an import car with an aftermarket muffler )

So I decided lets drill another hole in the other indention. Couldn't notice a huge difference but sounded a little less whinny, if that makes any sense. Decided to place another hole to increase the size of the holes I put in already. Tried to drill to where the extisting holes would come together to make one big hole. Sounded a little deeper and less like an import car. Great lets go for the 4th hole on each side. Didn't come out nice it looks sloppy if you look down the pipe. But it sounded better.

Rev rev rev and it sounded pretty good. Held it at certain rpms and you here a fluttering. Its not a steady sound. It goes in and out, choppy. Was concerned and thought I screwed something up. Then listened to a twobrothers exhaust and a akropovic and they did the same thing so not worried anymore.

Great mod for the price and sound. You just have to have the right number of holes and the right size. The only thing I don't like is the increase in vibrations felt through the seat and handlebars. Before I drilled holes I could ride all day almost and feel fine. Now I feel it in my hands and azz when I'm done riding.

May go for a akropovic it sounded a little deeper. The two brothers sounded almost like doing the mod. I forgot to check if those pipes produced more vibrations throught the seat and handlebars. Anyone know if they do?

Old 02-19-2007, 10:14 PM

I also want to know the same thing !

Old 02-20-2007, 11:49 AM

Drilling a baffle is lame. The noise it makes sounds crappy to a knowledgeable ear, may actually cause a loss of power, and is a generally squidly thing to do to a nice bike..

Old 02-20-2007, 02:26 PM

I dont see why it would be squidly when some companies sell them w//o baffles from factory.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 PM

I don't think it's squidly, just different options available to do different things. It's not like putting chrome fenders or a crown on the dash. Just something to try to make a stock exhaust just a little louder than from how it came from the factory.

It depends on which bike, drilling holes in some just doesn't sound good but on others it sounds ok. On my liter bike it sounds ok. Not as deep sounding as a akrapovic but still lets you know the bike is on and their sitting in traffic. Its not obnoctiously ( man my spelling sucks ) loud either to where it frightens old ladies and makes people gowtf and spill their coffee.

I did this to my bike so a friend had to try it on his. On his 600 it sounds weak. A high pitch rumble. He decided why not since he's getting ascorpion anyways. The mod only takesabout 10 min. Another friend tried it on his cruiser, that tookafew hours but it sounded much better.

In some cases it sounds good in others it doesn't. I guess it depends on the bike and muffler system. I wouldn't do it unless you plan on getting an aftermarket pipe anyways. That way if you do it and like the sound then you saved yourself some $$$. But if you don't like it, hey your gettin a pipe anyways. I like it but I think I'll gowith a akrapovic only because it sounds deeper at idle. When you rev it up they all sound kinda the same screaming.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:24 PM

You don't get a loss of power drilling out your baffels, you gain dyno proven power! And some of us don't have The disposable income to get a new pipe yet. Sure I could get a yosh s/o but driling the baffels gave me the same power. I'll wait till I got enough for a nice acro F/S .

Old 03-04-2007, 06:17 PM

My CBR now wants an "Akropovic Exhaust ", thanks to this thread. I'll be eating mac&cheese for months now. When time comes to purchase, I'll be looking on this board for resources ( and recipies ).