1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Which line of Akrapovic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which line of Akrapovic?

I am just trying to figure out which line of Akro to go with....I want the carbon fiber can but can't decide which to go with for the all around package...looks sound and performance...i know there are better out there but i am pretty set on the akro just need help on which line to go with....also what power commander do you all think is the best...juicebox....etc...any input will help thanks guys

Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Default RE: Which line of Akrapovic?

Just installed an Akrapovic Race System on my 06' 1000RR. I went with the Race system over the Evolution because the only difference is the Evolution has Titanium header tubes and collectors while the Race is stainless steel. Both are available with the Carbon fiber Hex canister and both systems have a titanium link pipe. No difference in performance or sound. Unless you're using your bike at the track and wanting to save on weight (2-3lbs)I would opt for the Race system and save yourself $300+, or use it to buy the Power Commander, go with a PCIII usb, you don't need the new EX model.
I did a lot of research before I purchased my system, best price I found was on Motomummy.com paid $1064 for the whole system, I think theyhave the Evo for $1370. Ordered on Monday and had it on Friday. Everywhere else was $200-300 higher on each system. Hope this helps.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:07 PM

Well, I have to say I put an Evolution on my 05 Repsol with a PCIII USB and couldn't be happier. The weight savings is incredible. Also, I'm not familiar with the "Race" system, but I can tell you the Evolution system has totally independent header pipes that can be removed individually. Does the race system have that as well?

Fit and finish on the Evo system is second to none. I've never seen anything so well made and fit so well to the bike. It is the extreme, the best you can get, and if you're spending $1064, why not spend $1,370 and go the distance for the absolute top of the line? I recommend searching Ebay. I got mine brand new for $800! Best money I ever spent on the bike.

Still, the best decision you could probably make is do some track days and go to some classes. That made the biggest difference for me.

I'm sure the race system is great, too. Still, for the difference in price I'd just get the full Titanium and go with the Evo.

Just my .02 cents!

Best wishes.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 AM

Yes, the race system has individual header tubes, the Race and Evolution systems are identical, only difference is one is full Ti and the other is partial.

Either system (Evo or Race) versus the stock exhuast, yeah there's significant weight difference, but between the Evo and Race, we're talking 1.5kg. Very marginal. Judging that your bike is an 05', 3 years ago you were probably able to get the system for that price or today if it was used. Akrapovic did a price increase a few months ago, Evo's are going for around $1600+. If you're willing to spend the extra money just to say "Hey, I've got an Evo." go for it. You can't tell a difference performance wise and if you say you can tell a difference with the 1.5kg weight difference, we know you're full of it. Even on Akrapovic's site they list the dynographs as "Evolution/Race" showing they're the same system, only difference is the material that actually only half the system.

Spend your money wisely, there's no difference in performance, why pay the difference in price. Quality of welds, craftmanship, hydroforming, etc are exactly the same. It's a streetbike, not a track bike. I have both, there's a difference.