600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Akrapovic Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Akrapovic Headers

Just wondering what headers you guys are running and also is it worth getting? I am considering a Slip-on but thought might as well get the whole exhaust system sorted. But the headers only come with the race version and not the street legal version. As far as I know the street legal only has baffles to keep the noise level down. We are talking about Akrapovic here, so I am wondering if the Race header fits on a rroad legal slip-on. came here to see what you guys think, still waiting for a reply from akrapovic.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Default RE: Akrapovic Headers

I'm not a 100% sure, but If I were to bet I'd bet on; NO it won't. But I bet it could made to with some work. The problem lies with how the can mounts to the mid-pipe, they are going to be different on a fully system vs a slip on, most likely in both location and size.

But My question is why you would want a full system? Are you trying to get rid of some weight, do you plan on racing, is it for bling factor, or do you have some extra cash burning a hole in your pocket?

It doesn't really matter to me, but you should realize that when going to a full system, especially a "RACE" spec system, over just a slip-on you are most likely to:
1. LOSE HP & Torque below 5,000 RPM
2. Gain virtually NOTHING between 5,000 - 8,000 RPM
3. Gain big starting at around 10,000 RPM.
Also with a full system, you will really need to add a Power Commander & have a custom map made. In past experience full systems can really screw up the fueling pretty badly. So people will say that a full system "feels" faster but if you up them back to back on a dyno you'll find the above to be true 9 times out of 10. It's because the power actually hits harder, i.e. you lose the smoothness of the power delivery.

So you should really be asking yourself how do you ride and will the extra money spent really be worth it?

Old 10-30-2006, 01:05 AM
Default RE: Akrapovic Headers

Thanks jason on the advice thats what I wanted to hear. makes sense. The 600RR is plenty fast on the road, just sometimes nice to have a bit more torque. I think a 1000RR is a bit of an over kill especially in the wet, if you get caught out. getting the exhaust is primarily for the blind factor, but also serves as a warning as your filter through traffic on my commutes to work. I had an R1 coming up behind me in traffic once man his exhaust was loud, I let him pass and followed him through rush hour traffic as it was like Moses, as all the cars moved out of the way. Planning to get the exhaust soon, power cammand, air filter and velocity stacks(thinking about it, need more research) and have everything fitted next spring. So I get everything map once. Should be sweet. Next up would be rear sets and, getting my rear swing arm powered coated over the winter when it gets too cold to ride.