1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Led blinkers and restriktors

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led blinkers and restriktors

Hi, I am installing some Kellermann led blinkers on my 08 cbr. Got a pair of restriktors with the blinkers that I need some help with wher to install.

Regards

Richard

Old 04-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Each resistor gets wired in-line between the LED and the flasher relay. The reason you need them is because the LED signal uses much less current than a standard bulb and it causes the signal to flash at a higher rate. Some owners say they like it that way. A resistor adds a load to the circuit and causes the LED to flash at the normal rate.

The drawback to resistors (other than the additional wiring) is they generate heat as they resist current flow. You have to be careful that they are not touching plastic parts or anything else that can melt on your bike.

A fairly inexpensive and easy alternative to resistors is to get an electronic flasher relay that is designed to work with LED signals. It replaces the stock flasher relay, no wiring mods are needed and it does not generate heat.

Click on Electronic LED Flashers and scroll down to the bottom of that page for the motorcycle applications. I have the LF1-S-FLAT version on my 08 1kRR. It plugged right into the stock wiring harness connector after I removed the stock relay. Although I just have rear LED signals and standard front ones the specs say it can handle up to 4 LEDs and still flash at the normal rate.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The resistor needs to go across the LED, not in-line with it. It would just use even less current that way.