General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive Gear turns in Neutral and bike Dieing issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Gear turns in Neutral and bike Dieing issue

Got a weird problem happening and after searching this forum page after page and using the search i have come up with nothing.. So, i figure this is the best place to ask.. ok here is the run down; I just got a F3 in immaculate condition but the engine wouldn't run right which was probably the carbs.. but anyways i swapped the engine out because i had a engine with a lot less miles on it. it was a California motor but i deleted all the smog crap (not that it matters).. After all the wrenching i got everything working and running great but now i got 2 issues..

First issue;

When in neutral the drive gear is still wanting to turn as in it jingles a little bit like it wants to move but it doesn't move because of the chain.. if i take the drive chain off the gear the gear will turn until i touch it and it will stop. if i put it in gear it will run fine and of coarse i cant stop the gear.. if in neutral and i pull the clutch it will stop jingling/moving.. not really a big problem but not right and would prefer to fix it if something easy.

Second Issue;

After running for a while the bike acts likes it slowly runs out of fuel (even tho the tank is full) and finally dies to the point where it wont fire back up, even tho it has a new strong battery. I have replaced the plugs with new NGK's and seem to get plenty of spark.. took the carbs off and put new main jets in and they work fine till it dies out.. was told the fuel cut off sensor was new and the fuel pump is new. this problem seems to happen when it gets hot but still random because it hasn't happened the last 2 times ive got it warmed up like last night it did die out but when i got up this morning i went out and tried starting it, it had a very strong battery took about 20 cranks and slowly spit and puttered to life and eventually back to a perfect hum.. (kinda like it was slowly getting gas back) so 2 questions.. 1. would a stator getting warm cause a no fire situation but still charge the battery and give at least a good looking spark outside the chamber? and question 2. Is there something other then the fuel pump/filter and the fuel cut sensor that would stop the fuel pump from sending fuel to the carbs?

any help would be appreciated..

Old 03-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after working on it a little more i noticed when i turn the fuel pump while running, the clicks get louder and not existent.. so i ordered a new fuel pump and hopefully that takes away my dying problem. Even tho the guy said it was a new fuel pump i cant honestly say i believe him. so i might have that fixed but the gear problem still baffles me..

Old 03-08-2017, 06:55 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The gear turning a little is normal. It's caused by the oil on the clutch plates and gears.