CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

96 CBR900RR Knocking noise...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kit352
I ended up buying the bike. The chain was in fact bad but so was the cct. Im gonna toss it in my shed for a few months because im moving to london next week but i will be back in april i think.
Good luck with the rebuild! Have fun in London man.
Originally Posted by jasonchristopher
kool,
and good luck "kit352", you have yourself a decent bike for short money..
the only thing i would def do before storing it is: drain the tank or add a stabilizer and def drain the carbs.. these two things are very important. todays fuel will gel up in a matter of a few months. i have seen this happen and its a pain later sorting it out..
anyway good luck and come back if you need any help.. also i'm right up the highway from you in boston!!

inferno: lots of luck with your moving up on cc's come back and show us your new 1000 once your settled and buy that new bike!!
jay
I can't wait, unfortunately it will probably be about a year from this upcoming March until I'll be able to grab a bike. I may try to grab a dirtbike in the meantime, but it will be hard to store at my apartment.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by jasonchristopher
kool,
and good luck "kit352", you have yourself a decent bike for short money..
the only thing i would def do before storing it is: drain the tank or add a stabilizer and def drain the carbs.. these two things are very important. todays fuel will gel up in a matter of a few months. i have seen this happen and its a pain later sorting it out..
anyway good luck and come back if you need any help.. also i'm right up the highway from you in boston!!

inferno: lots of luck with your moving up on cc's come back and show us your new 1000 once your settled and buy that new bike!!
jay
Ya I'm just gonna store it for now. I will have my wife start it every now and then. I will stabilize it for sure.
My main focus will be to strip the fairings then remount them with the proper hardware and brackets so I can see what I've got. I'm definitely gonna need to get some new hardware and various brackets. Needs new coolant lines due to 2 leaking, one fork needs a rebuild so I'm gonna do both and for sure the manual cct and go from there.
Seems like finding good used parts for these is a little tricky too. I'm gonna have to watch ebay like fiend.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kit: the problem with those plastics aren't because of the brackets are wrong. they're right for oem.
its the quality of the molds that are used twenty years after the production of the original bike..
i have many sets of plastics the are oem and they fit perfect and the one set of after market ones i have barley fit at all and are distorted when mounted..
i think custom brackets would be the answer but the plastics in question would have to be worth it..
these are the guys you want to check out for hoses if you cant find originals, plus they have colors..
SamcoSport USA - Colours
well i hope we see you next spring..

Old 08-26-2014, 06:07 AM

On this bike it's actual a combo of both. Nearly every bracket is bent, broken or missing. The fairings aren't helping anything either. I got a spare set to go with the bike that are oem but about half of them are junk.
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up down grading the front end to the 93-94 style so I'm gonna get new plastics anyway, just don't know if I try to hunt down good oem or bite the bullet and more Chinese stuff.
The tail I might swap to a gsxr subframe so I won't have to worry about that. I have several extra ones lying around from my race bike.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well if your going to change anything, i wouldn't go backwards..
i'd do a custom build forward..
i'm not sure if your familiar with this bike build but if not here u go and if your creative really you can buy scratched plastics from any modern bike 2010 and up and fab up brackets for those and finish with a custom paint job, now personally thats def worth the effort and the result would be ten fold with out a 14,000 dollar bike payment.. just saying , check this build out its one of my favorites..
98 Winter revamp :-))

Old 05-16-2015, 04:16 PM

Just an update on this bike. I got back from the UK last week and started pulling it apart. This thing was a mess. Im going to start a rebuild thread tonight with pictures. It needs a lot of work but most of it is minor wrenching but a lot of figuring things out. Lots and lots of wires and tubing lust hanging out. I'm going to need a fair amount of new bolts and fasteners. Most of the ones on it are miss matched or flat out wrong.
Anyway, i will post a thread link when i make the new thread so people can follow it from here as well.