CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

96 CBR900RR Knocking noise...

Old 08-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 CBR900RR Knocking noise...

This can't be good...

When I'm accelerating through first gear, I feel it the most. Feels like it's on the lower left side. When I pull in the clutch and coast, I can feel it as well.

When I go higher up in RPM's it seems to either go away, or the engine/exaust is making too much noise for me to notice it. The other thing is, it doesn't do it all the time. Some times when I accelerate from a stop in first, it doesn't make the noise and I can't feel it.

I hope it's something simple like the chain, but I don't think it is...

If there's a fairly easy fix I can do myself, I'll do it. Otherwise, this bike is going on craigslist with a full disclaimer

Old 08-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it feel like it's in the gearing???
Where do you live, part of the country??
How long have you had the bike?? And any history that you know about it..miles?
Maybe it s something simple like a clutch plate, just don't panic..
It's probably something stupid.. hopefully small..
Just remember,its a Honda..

Old 08-05-2014, 08:31 AM

I'm right down the pike from you in the Worcester area.
I got the bike from a friend. He only put 3,000 miles on it.
I've almost put 10,000 miles on it in the last year and a half. It's almost up to 46,000 miles.

It's been down a few times judging by the scrapes and such, but I've never put it down. I have no history on the work that's been done.

It could be in the gearing since it's been hitting false neutrals occasionally, and it will pop out of 2nd if I don't throw it hard into gear from first. I hit my first false neutral shifting from like 3rd to 4th the other day.

It also coullld possibly be a clutch plate since it barely feels like it may be slipping a bit??

I don't know how to self diagnose these problems haha but I have learned a TON from owning this bike.

The tough part is... I'm trying to move to Denver CO by the end of the month and don't know how I can bring it with me. I want to fix it up and sell it, but if it's not an easy fix...

Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 AM

it may be worth having a mechanic take a look at it.. especially where your life is in a time sensitive crunch.. i think spending the money to pinpoint the problem and then selling the bike with a honest assessment would be the smartest way and most lucrative, unless you just plan on selling it as a parts bike, then thats another story..
i'm glad i asked where you lived.. i noticed the central ma location, but you also have a couple other places next to it, so i wasn't sure where the bike was.. anyway if it comes down to the line and the bike still isn't resolved when loading up your final boxes, let me know and i'll come make an offer and scoop it up if the price is right..

my gut feeling inferno is its something like the clutch, you mentioned the chain, do you have any pictures of the bike and any close ups on the chain, how have you taken care of it, other than what you obviously need for inspections, have you kept up with the little things, like the chain?? i mention its a honda, because unless you stunted it or dragged it, most hondas will outlast their owners by multiples...anyway if theres anything else to add def put it in here, theres lots of people reading the post and someone with a similar problem still might chime in..

Old 08-05-2014, 12:51 PM

Chain and sprockets are 2.5 years old. I have waxed or lubed it at least every 3-400 miles. Detail cleaned it multiple times and everything looks good.
Oil change / filter ever 3K miles.
Replaced clutch cable last summer since it snapped in my driveway last July
Did spark plugs at the beginning of the year
Just put on new brake pads on the front
Fixed electrical issues with the starter solenoid/headlights/tail lights/plate light

I mean, it still runs fine aside from the noise/feeling... I rode 90 miles non stop on Sunday
I just don't want to make something worse by not catching it now if it's an easy fix

Edit: This photo was from April

Last edited by Inferno_Libtech; 08-05-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:10 PM

you know something else that is common on the blades is the cam chain tensioner.
its on the top of the motor though, its another thing i though of first but i think its too far away if you think the sound is coming from down low on the left.. i also think worse case scenario will be your losing a gear thats on its way out.. again hopefully someone who recognizes your symptoms will chime in and add to the convo..

Old 08-05-2014, 08:50 PM

oh and the chain and sprocket look perfect..

Old 08-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's like my 92 bike there's a rubber/plastic/whatever (just checked - the 'Drive Chain Slider') that goes over the front end of the swingarm with bits on top of and underneath. Is this worn out anywhere such that the chain could occasionally be hitting the swingarm itself?

Dave

Old 08-06-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by dvhttn
If it's like my 92 bike there's a rubber/plastic/whatever (just checked - the 'Drive Chain Slider') that goes over the front end of the swingarm with bits on top of and underneath. Is this worn out anywhere such that the chain could occasionally be hitting the swingarm itself?

Dave
The little rubber slot the chain rides on? I could check but last time I looked it was fine

Old 08-08-2014, 09:11 AM

hows it going, have you put anymore miles in ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 CBR900RR Knocking noise...