Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

Signed up for my first track day

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signed up for my first track day

Well, I finally did it....... I have signed up for my first track day this summer during the weekend of July 5th and 6th at Grattan with Sportbike Track Time. I can't wait until July gets here. Reading the stories and seeing all the track videos, it's going to be a blast!! So now I have to buy a suit... what do you guys recommend?

Also, any advise you can share that you've learned from your track days?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Default RE: Signed up for my first track day

I'd say the most important thing to do is to make sure that you attend the rider's meeting and make sure that you completely understand track procedures. Especially track entry and exit; that's the most dangerous part of track days.

Other than that... Don't push too hard. Try focusing on learning the track and smoothly controlling the bike. Get to know people, especially more experienced riders and ask questions; it's the fastest way to learn. Make sure that you're bike is ready days prior to the track day. I've seen way to many riders prepping at the track when they should be on the track. Anyways, have fun.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Step 1: Get a blood pressure machine and CALM DOWN.
Step 2: Get rid of all clocks, calendars, etc. cause you won't stand the wait.
blah blah blah

Read over their manual to find out what they are looking for. Make a checklist of everything you THINK you will need and pack more stuff.

And often overlooked-----WASH YOUR BIKE. A clean bike passes tech easier than a dirty one.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 PM

+1 on what theredgoose said...get to know some of the experienced riders once you are there...get to know the braking points and turning points. Take it nice and easy and be consistent.
Here is a useful checklist someone gave me...you won't need everything on here, but it gives you an idea.
As for suits...try ebay, WERA forum or any local racing forum...for good deals on suits. Remember you get what you pay for...cheap suits will not last if you go down. Sportbiketrackgear.com has good deals sometimes.

PIT GEAR
___1. CANOPY ___2. CHAIRS ___3. COOLERS ___4. FANS ___5. EXTENSION CORDS/POWER ADAPTER ___6. BIKE STANDS ___7. TIRE WARMERS ___8. RAGS ___9. LOG ITEMS/BOOKS
BIKE PARTS
___1. EXTRA LEVERS ___2. REAR SET ___3. TAPE ___4. ZIP TIES ___5. EXTRA FASTENERS ___6. TIRES ___7. WINDSCREENS ___8. EXTRA PLASTICS
GAS & FLUIDS
___1. FUEL ___2. OIL ___3. GAS CANS ___4. BRAKE FLUID ___5. GLAS CLEANER ___6. FIRE EXTINGUISHER
PERSONAL GEAR - SUITS AND PROTECTIVE GEAR
___1. LEATHERS ___2. PUCKS ___3. HELMETS ___4. VISORS ___5. GLOVES ___6. BOOTS ___7. EAR PLUGS
TOOLS
___1. TIRE GAUGE ___2. PERSONAL TOOL BOXES/KITS ___3. AIR TANK ___4. SHOP MANUALS ___5. LAP TIMER/ TRANSMITTER ___6. GENERATOR
PROMO ITEMS
___1. BANNERS ___2. BIZ CARDS ___3. T-SHIRTS
OTHER
___1. FOOD & DRINKS ___2. CCW and License ___3. WARM AND COOL CLOTHES ___4. FIRST - AID KITS ___5. WALLET, ID, INSURANCE CARDS, CASH, BANK & CREDIT CARDS ___6. RACE FORMS, HOTEL RESERVATION ___7. EMERGENCY CONTACT LIST ___8. VIDEO CAMERA/LAPTOP/ELECTRONICS ___9. BUG SPRAY (OFF)

& Keys (LOL)

Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha ha...guess what's left off your list. May seem obvious but imagine how many people forget: Keys to the bike.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:01 AM

LOL..fixed

Old 02-15-2008, 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

Ha ha...guess what's left off your list. May seem obvious but imagine how many people forget: Keys to the bike.
I was talking to a guy at a track day last year.He got to the track and realized he forgot his key. Drove home 30 miles in rush hour traffic. Couldn't find his key at home. Drove back to the track and found the key... it was in his seat lock the whole time.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:34 AM

Wow that sucks... lmao

Old 03-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true relax, attend intermission educational briefings, reliable stable machine and have lotsa fun...and don't forget to bring down the tire pressure a bit...

Hey fellas that was funny story about the forgetting the key....lmao

I once thought I lost my key too...think that happens to alot of folks....in my case ..i went crazy looking all over the place..I thought someone took.it...when low a behold...in my inside leathersuit pocket....lol...

Old 03-12-2008, 01:08 AM

I think the best thing i can tell you is dont be cheap. You get what you pay for. Make sure you have a good set of leathers. Thats whats keeping you and your skin together. You want good protection Leathers and a good helmet. Second if you do a track day and decide you love it, you will trust me, its an addiction. Tires are the most inportant thing you can by next to your leathers. You may want to envest in some good track tires. Its all about traction, and who's got it. Tires are key. Also just like everyone else said ask people who have been around the block a time or two. Everyone IS a newbie at some point. Listen, learn, look where you want to go on the track. But most of all HAVE FUN OUT THERE.

Quick Reply: Signed up for my first track day