Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

Purchase a track bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 AM
stx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase a track bike

Hello everybody, been a while since I have been on the forum, my wife and I have a 14 month old (enough said).

Anyway in my area there are a ton of bikes going up for sale (cheap) looking at the 600's (gsxr, CBR, r6 will do), was wondering what everyone's thoughts are as far as mileage, was looking at some 600's with anywhere from 8000 to 23000 miles, my question is if the bike seems it was well taken care off, is there too much mileage for a track bike? Lost of newer models out there (07,08) with high miles for sale now. any input greatly apreciated!
thanks

Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your little one...& on having a wife that would allow you to have a track bike. ;-)

Regarding your question...
If you're looking for a track bike, then I'm sure you know how to look at bikes concerning maintenance & condition. To that... I've seen bikes w/ "low" miles that were in poor condition...& I've seen bikes that had "high" mileage that were in excellent condition. Its all in how a bike has been taken care of & maintained.

As far as what is "too much mileage", you'll get varying opinions. I know guys that are using bikes w/ well over 40k for their main track bikes. However, they are extremely thorough w/ maintenance, knew the history of the bikes when they purchased them, etc. Again, it all comes down to condition.

In general though, if I were starting a search, I'd prefer a bike that had lower miles BUT I wouldn't rule out a bike that had 'higher' miles, if it had been properly cared for w/ regular maintenance & care.

Good luck in your search.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 PM

+1 to all that !

Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 PM

I agree with gotcbr's comments. The 600cc class bikes can easily go 100k miles with regular maintenance. The looks (plastics, chain, etc) and seller's attitude will give you a better feel of the bikes reliability.

I'm in your shoes. Have a 2y/old and another on the way. Road trips will be nil in 2011 so I'm planning a few more track days.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:58 PM

My current track day bike is a 91 F2 with 54,000 miles on it. I am not even thorough with my maintenance. Just do the normal stuff that should be done. I'll keep her at redline for a whole day without problems.

These bikes hang tough for a long time. I'd be most worried about suspension. Try to find something with recently upgraded suspension. A bike with 40k miles on it and original suspension is bound to be soft.