Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

Ive never been to a track day before. When and where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ive never been to a track day before. When and where are they?

I live in Ithaca ny. Right next to Watkins Glenn. Ive never been to any kind of racing class or track day. Id love to go to one this year but i dont know anything about them.

Im hoping you guys could tell me what websites to check out, when, and where they are.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have an 08 1000rr that is mostly stock.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:33 AM

Never been to a track day either! I am wanting to go this time round when I get my F3. Planning on letting my friend track the F3 and I just track my EX-500. But anyways I was just going to add a few more questions to yours.

What do I need to know?

What do I need to bring?

Will I look like a fool because I can't lean like you?

I wanna learn to ride/race better but I figured its better to learn on a track instead of the road.

Peace
Ninja

Old 03-07-2010, 04:27 AM

Hey guys I started a thread in the How To: Track Techniques thread. Maybe a mod can move it down here and sticky it or something.

NESBA and STT are big clubs and run alot on the eastcoast for you jimbo.

Check this link for clubs they are all over the country.
http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_0...ons/index.html

Last edited by geckert; 03-07-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Track schools are where you go to learn to ride on the track. Track days are great if you know what you're doing, or are supervised. Don't just jump on the track without learning the basics - you'll be a hazard to yourself and others.

That said - the schools are generally fantastic. You'll meet lots of folks like yourself - interested in learning to ride better, riding more quickly, more efficiently, and more safely -- in a safe environment away from police/cars/animals/gravel.

When you go to the school make learning the priority - NOT top speed. Do the things they tell you to do like; get smoother braking, find consistent markers and corner markers (you'll adjust these as you go faster, the key point here is to be consistent -- just trying to go fast will eventually get you too hot into a corner and you'll completely blow it). So - go - listen - learn - be smooth - remember this is not a race, and they will be more impressed if you listen/learn and go home on a shinny bike, than if you wad your bike into corner 1 because you were trying too hard. Check the ego at the door and you will have fun, and become a much better rider.

I remember turning 2 minute laps at the track in the first session... at the end of the year I was 30 seconds a lap faster, and felt more in control and more confident. The same will happen to you if you forget lap times, forget the others, forget racing and just focus on being smooth and listening to the instructors.

I can't repeat that enough! You will have much more fun going home tired on a shiny bike than arm in a sling searching ebay.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll add that most (if not all) trackday organizations that I associate with, offer a first-time trackday rider class for C group (beginners). This is generally included in the price of the trackday. Frankly, I think any reputable trackday org should do this. Just do your homework to find a trackday org that does this. Those trackday orgs will intruct you throughout the day's sessions on fundamentals of track riding & proper technique...both in a classroom setting b/f sessions & on the track by use of control riders w/ the trackday org. Trackdays are designed to have fun in a controlled & safe environment.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:59 PM

It's not that I am speed demon, trying to out do everyone with no experience under my belt, I wanna learn to race and the STT offers a class for people who need the basics on how to race (at least down here in the South)..... thing is I don't know what I need to show up with when I go to the track day.... and how much I should know.... I been riding for a year or soo..... I feel comfortable riding...... Its just I look at all these pictures and people have these bikes all the way down...... I mean I can lean just..... don't think I am anywhere as good as most the poeple on here.... So my Q. was how good should I be before I go into track day...... I am going through a basic riding course next week...... I know i'll pass that with no trouble.... (never laid my bike down! I know that doesn't mean much since I only been riding a year but still) also I am only riding a EX-500 right now,.

Thought I was going to get my 1997 F3 last weekend but I didn't get the money I thought I would, then had to pay to fix me car...... soo I gotta wait till the 1st to get it (cool thing the guy was being really nice said he won't put it up for sale till the 1st!)

Peace
Ninja

Old 03-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll learn a lot on the track on the ninja - it has very little to do with the bike in the first few weeks of track riding.

I'll restate - don't try to go fast, don't try to lean more --- learn the track essentials - control, smoothness, and consistency.

What happens to folks is they *try* to ride fast. They move braking points too late (for themselves) and panic brake down to a slow speed, wobble about precariously and crack it open again. This will eventually lead to you going that little bit too fast and being one of the guys who spends the rest of the day watching.

So I'll keep saying it - do not try to go fast The smoother and more consistent you get, the safer you'll be and the faster you'll go in the long run. You watch the racers, none of them look jagged, and there is a reason for it. The bikes suspension works best when it doesn't have to work .

Take the riding school on the ninja - you will have an absolute blast. Come back and tell us you ran 10 laps within a second of each others lap times. If you can churn off consistent lap times at the end of day 3 (don't look at the clock until you've REALLY got the basics) then you're on your way to being a good rider. If you run laps that are 10 seconds apart, you're pushing it too hard at times and it's screwing the rest of the lap.

Just my thought there.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 PM

Haha thanks! I am so pumped! lol

Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ninja 500
thing is I don't know what I need to show up with when I go to the track day....
You will need your bike in great shape. Most orgs require that you prep your bike ( taping over all lights,turn signals and removing the mirrors.)

Full leathers, gauntlet gloves(over the wrist), riding boots and a helmet that is not damaged or old(5 years). I would not suggest riding your bike to the track so you will need a way to transport it and load/unload it.

Take a lawn chair for inbetween sessions, an easy-up for shade, food and drink! Join the STT forum and ask them about what is expected I am sure they can provide alot more help to your specific questions about their trackdays. Also taking a friend can make the experience alot easier than going solo, plus if you crash and end up in the hospital they can take care of your bike and everything else. Trackdays are a TON of fun, you just have to make sure you are prepared and have everything you need or it can end up a headache.

It seems like you are worried about your skill level and you really shouldnt be. There are some slow people out at trackdays just learning. There are also some really fast people on slow 250's. Just take your time when riding and stay safe.

Last edited by geckert; 03-10-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Good info!