Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

How to convince hubby

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to convince hubby

Here's the problem. I want to do track days. My husband isn't really into me doing it. I don't know if he doesn't want me spending the money or if it is a safety issue. He is not thrilled about my motorcycle addiction. At times he seems to be ok with it, even when I told him I wanted a 250 for a track bike he said no that I should get a 600. He even checks out craigslist for bikes and tells me about them. But then when I talk about signing up or getting leathers he poopoo's it. What is the deal?! He races cars and I am his pit crew so maybe he thinks it will conflict with that. I don't know how to approach the subject and not turn him against the idea, in other words I don't want to nag at him about it. What do you think I should do?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:06 AM

Do you have a bike already and are trying to get a track bike? or are you just trying to get a track bike? If you are going towards just having a track bike in my opinion it would be a mixture of cost and safety. Perhaps bring up the idea of school first.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by revilingfool
Do you have a bike already and are trying to get a track bike? or are you just trying to get a track bike? If you are going towards just having a track bike in my opinion it would be a mixture of cost and safety. Perhaps bring up the idea of school first.
I have a street bike already (CBR60RR) and have been riding street and dirt for 26 years. I want to get a track bike, I think it would be easier than trying to do track and street with the same bike.

I would not jump out onto the track without some schooling first.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Well over here , we have a fairly broad " women are there own people attitude "
Miss , if you want to race track days ....how come you just cant tell the ol bugger that , that is what you are going to do ?
Is he a bit pushy and controlling ?

You are your own person !...you do what you want! and tell him to stuff it !!!! and I am just kidding ok ....LOLOL

Hope you can talk him around? ...does sucking up heaps to him help ?? lolol
He's not pushy or controlling, well not any more so than any other man, lol. He is all for me being an independent woman, even to the point to make sure I know how to do the things most women don't know how to do. I could load up my bike and go , but I would like him to go with me and make it a "family" thing like we do with his racing. I enjoy helping him with his car and being his pit crew, I think he likes it too.

I think if he actually went and watched a track day he would get into it also and maybe get his own track bike. That may be the direction to go. Maybe if I get him a sportbike he might get the itch to go to the track with it.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:11 AM

I am with CBRclassic, minus the J/K part because I WOULD tell him to stuff it haha.

Life is short, do what makes you happy and enjoy it. I would just tell him you want to do it, and that you are going to do it, and that it would mean a lot to you if he supported you in it instead of fighting it. Ask him straight out what his problem is... Wondering why he is against it isn't going to help anything. It is easier to solve a problem when you know exactly what the problem is.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with track days they will school you and move you up as you get better. a 250 would have been a good choice to start on, even for the street. Since you have a 600 already, track days will help with your skills n confidence on the street too.

I would simply tell your hubby it is something YOU want to do, and he should support you like you have him in his hobby. Its only fair

Having two bikes is nice, esp for trackdays, but changing out fairings (not a must) isnt hard. Also make sure you bike(s) have good frame sliders, swingarm sliders, and barends.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do what *you* desire to do. Not gonna tell you how to handle your relationship b/c that's your business. I will tell you though, that you don't want to have regrets in this life...or look back later & say to yourself - shoulda, coulda, woulda, BUT.

You want to do track days...DO TRACK DAYS.

Ok, that's all...just trying to spur you to do what you want to do. ;-)

Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 AM

Ya'll gave lots of good advice and well, here is what happened...

This weekend while I had him trapped in the truck I told him I would like to do track days. He looked at me out of the corner of his eye and I asked him why he was against it. He said he was not against it, that if I wanted to do it I just needed to take the time and do it. So apparently he thought I was just talking to hear my lips flap and was not truly interested in it. So Saturday we went out bike shopping. I did not find anything that I liked, but I am still looking. So, look out guys... be afraid, be very afraid because I will be on the track this season.

Thanks for all the support

Old 01-17-2011, 02:13 PM

haha, that wasnt so hard then. good luck!

Quick Reply: How to convince hubby