Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Your Preference? Throttle or brake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Your Preference? Throttle or brake?

what made you do that?

Old 06-06-2007, 03:40 PM

All around GP shifting makes more sence.

I do the occasional track day, and have hit the toes of my boots on the ground while trying to grab the next gear while coming out of a turn. Having my foot on top of the shifter in that same situation will prevent that from happening.

I mean all in all, it looks like it will be more practical. When you're tucked and moving thru gears, not having to change your body position to shift makes sence, rather than changing your body position to get your foot under the lever.
Then when down shifting while approaching a turn, it doesn't matter if you flag your body out and get your foot under the lever.

Also, one day at the track, I hit my shift lever on the ground while setting into a steep turn. The GP lever sits a bit more in on the bike, and is set just a touch higher. So I doubt I'll run into that one again.

I suppose it comes down to "a million racers can't be wrong" kind of viewpoint.

I notice that I haven't yet mis-shifted yet and grabbed neutral. I run into that sometimes when doing lazy up-shifting.

Well, that's it I suppose. Once I get it to muscle memory I doubt I'll have to worry about it again.

- Pixel -

Old 06-06-2007, 03:50 PM

icic

Old 06-10-2007, 07:28 AM

Ok, so the GP shifting is going well. I'm liking it more and more every day. Plan on doing about 200 miles tomorrow, and it's becoming second nature now.

On to the shift lever.
Even tho the shift lever is a shorty 2 finger version, I'm practicing just using 1 finger to clutch em up. I was running into a problem when using my index finger to clutch it up, that I would not be totally able to disengage the clutch all the time because the extra length on the lever would hit my middle finger. So pulled out the hack saw, and the polishing grinder today and cut off the break-a-way part of the lever and slightly shortened it from a 2 finger lever... to about a 1 1/2. Totally love it now.

The lever is still easy to pull in 1 finger, and there's a bit of extra length there for when I'm riding in the canyons so that I can get 2 fingers on the lever if I need to. (Or get fatigued... which happens quicker using 1 finger clutching all the time.)

Last bit, is I had the lever pulled pretty close to the grip at first... A good stunter suggested that I move the clamp of the lever further up the bar. Tried that, felt akward, so put it back... Pulled in the clutch once and saw what he was talking about lol... so put it back how he suggested and there it shall stay. So basically, I moved the lever mount further away from the grip, rather than closer to it. God. I think I complicated that last bit.

Anyways.

Time for zzz, got to get up early for tomorrows ride!

- Pixel -